Notebook has no firewire port

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by angus999, Feb 12, 2007.

1. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Hi all,

I wish to transfer from my Sony HC24 camcorder miniDV tape to PC so that I can record it onto DVD but my notebook does not have a firewire port.

I'm told I need firewire as the quality when transfereing via USB is very poor.

My notebook (Compaq Presario C350) does not appear to have the capability to add a firewire card.

Is there any other way I can convert/adapt a port (for instance a USB port) to firewire?

Thanks

2. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

If your notebook has a pc card (PCI) slot, pick up an pc card with a firewire connector at BestBuy, CompUSA, CircuitCity, etc. Check your notebook specs to see in your what pc cards it will accept. I am not an expert but I believe what you need is a type III cardbus adaptor. I have an old notebook with USB 1.1 ports and I picked up a pc card at Circuit City that has both a USB 2.0 and a firewire connector. It was made by Adaptec and the USB 2.0 and firewire connection work great!!! They'll run you about 50$ or less. Adaptec is more on the expensive ones so there are probably 3rd party that are cheaper.

Here is what I am talking about:
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-GB/products/_eol/firewire/fw_adapt/AFW-1430/index.htm

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  3. angus999

angus999 Regular member

I only purchased my notebook last Christmas. Not thinking to check on a brand new PC's expandability, I found recently that there is no PCi slot, firewire port or other means to 'install a firewire connection!!

It's unbelievable really in this day and age that a notebook of it's apparent quality does not have a firewire or means of expanding!

4. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Have you tried the transfer with USB, yet? I know there is a difference is the rate of transfer between USB and Firewire, but I haven't heard of significant quality issues betweetn the two...

5. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Hey Laboy,

Yes I have tried with a USB transfer using various programs but the quality of playback on the PC and subsequently burned DVD is terrible.

I am informed by another website Videohelp: http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=322263&highlight= ) that it is because of the USB transfer not being able to handle suitable quality video, the quality of video that firewire can!

It looks as though I am stuck, as my notebook does not look to be expandable to firewire!