NTFS ENCRYPTION problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by madman91, Apr 23, 2005.

1. madman91

madman91 Member

Hello,
    I had to reformat my harddrive for my yearly format. So i backed up my files with STomp Back up my Pc. All went well after format and i restored all my files onto a folder on my desktop called restored. When i tried viewing my pictures it showed no preview. When i tried listening to music it just didnt play. So i realized then that before the format i had enabled ntfs encryption on my music and picture files. Is there anyway to decrypt these files? I have tried right clicking the folder going to properties and de activating these encryptions. I have also tried right clicking then going go to properties and going to security-->advanced-->owner--> i chose my name and checked the box. applied it and no luck.

p.s. moderator please put this in the right topic

Thanks in Advance
    -Greg S.

2. madman91

madman91 Member

?
    Any ideas at all would be wonderful. If i lose these files i lose over a year of cd's and pictures i do not longer own :'(

3. madman91

madman91 Member

HELLO? anybody home

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Unless you backed up the encryption key to a floppy or cd (it will be a .pfx file) there isn't a way I know of to recover the files. They really need to emphasize that more when you encrypt files and prompt you to create a recovery floppy in my opinion.

5. madman91

madman91 Member