Older Emerson TV, top/bottom cut off with Fable 2...

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Druidboi, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Druidboi

Druidboi Member

The TV's an older less expensive brand, Emerson (not flat panel). I can deal with it but hasn't really bothered me till now. When playing xbox360, namely Fable 2, some directions are given on top of the screen, and most of it is cut off so I can't read most of it. Is there any way I can fix this?

Even when I convert movies to 4:3, it still cuts off top/bottom at times but that wasn't as big of a deal because subtitles and stuff were all visible.

Or would it require opening the TV to adjust this? The menu options only allow me to change brightness/contrast/tint, language, and to enable/disable V-Chip.

2. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Okay then. You sprung for the money for an xbox360 to play on a crappy old TV. New CRT (picture tube) TV's are incredibly cheap now, if you can find any. I respectfully suggest that you save up for one. If you "open up" your TV we'll be reading about you on Fark.com about Darwin's Law. Please don't.

3. Druidboi

Druidboi Member

heh...it's old so the money wasn't really an issue. yea tho im savin up for a 42 inch LC actually...it's not really a big deal, I just thought maybe there was an easy way to fix it. I definitely am not going to open the TV lol. Not only do I know nothing about it, it'd be too much work, just for a game.

4. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Well that's good news Druidboi. They won't have to bury you at Stonehenge just yet. Take care of yourself.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

There are usually some easy to get at picture geometry controls. If ye post the model number I will have a root around and find where they are.

It's common to have some overscan on especially older tv's from the 80's to ensure that the teletext lines were not displayed at the top or bottom of the screen.

Another cause could be that the EHT is low. Does changing the brightness cause the picture size to change?

One more thought.. The PAL version of the game could be causing the problem ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008
  6. HeliosXII

HeliosXII Member

I have the same problem. It's kind of annoying. I'm using an Emerson EWF2004. Any ideas (besides buying a new TV, preferably, I can't afford it :p)