omg 5 hours to ftp a game? (Solved - it was caused by the weather)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by axel09, Nov 9, 2008.

1. axel09

axel09 Member

like some games take as little as 30 min. but other games can take up to 5 hours is this right? it only takes my xbox like 3 to 5 min to rip them why so long to ftp? Im using a crossover cable with flashfxp,I was wondering if using the windows explorer and using ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.X would be faster transfering files

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'm using explorer & it's as slow as anything to ftp so i'm not suprised ftp software from 3rd parties is no better,5 hrs for one game is extremely slow but if it's 4-5 or more that would be about right,for me to do 10 or more is around 8-12hrs & thats taking them from the pox to an external hdd.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. axel09

axel09 Member

well I think the explorer is faster but my file transfers have been freezing up on random files. I will transfer the file that made it freeze up just fine its gota be the xbox or the computer causeing it to freeze right?you guys games transfer all the way im sure cus someone else would probly be complainning

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It'd be pretty hard to pinpoint but i've found that even with my main comp if i try to do another task my mouse stops n starts as i move it across screen so that means there's some serious cpu usage going on just to transfer the files,try exiting all but the most needed processes & then let it do it's thing
    disable all scheduled tasks like anitivirus scans & spyware etc better still exit em just have the bear basics running,it would also pay to to set the power options for the hdd's to NEVER,increasing pagefile size may help also i've set mine at 3gb,whether you need to is neither here nor there

Does the xbox freeze when playing games if not i think your xpox will not be the issue i would assume unless there's a power setting some where that may need to be changed

EDIT: Is there an error message if not my guess is there's an interfereing running process on the comp ? hey it's all just guessing

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  5. axel09

axel09 Member

no the games dont freeze

no error message

while its transfering a file it just looks like its gonna keep goin but dosntlike says 26 minutes remaining forever

I tried 2 xboxs and 2 computers I dont know whats goin on but I hope I figure it out,Im about to load vista to see it that works

6. axel09

axel09 Member

whats weird is it did work perfect at first I did like 5 ghames no problem before it started freezing

7. varnull

varnull Guest

There are a few things. Firstly explorer is going to be the slowest way known to man to ftp files, but even so 4-5 hours is too much. The pc freezing sounds like for some reason DMA on your hdd is off. bad sectors? Then you need to check your actual network hardware settings.. the speeds sound very much like your network is set to 10mbit half duplex.

8. axel09

axel09 Member

in my tests explorer is faster,the 5 hour thing was flashftp it will uplopad a file waqit 3 seconds upload another file wait some more.with the same computer I did the same game in 36 minutes with explorer...so explorer is faster for at least me.full duplex100 is what I got

9. varnull

varnull Guest

I use gftp.. they take me about 12 minutes for a full 4.3 dvd.

What other network traffic do you have running?

10. axel09

axel09 Member

solved. it must have been that hard drive the games were ripped onto was fragmented r some othger hard drive file issue,I now just ftp straight from the disk drive and I dont have any problems,sometimes it still will stay on whatever file its trying to transfer forever so I clean the disk and it works usualy im doing perfect disk copys.exept I tried to not use qwix on one disk because you said it wasnt nessesary and it didnt work

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

No one here said not to use qwix,certainly not me i've never heard of it,so give it ago if you feel like it

12. axel09

axel09 Member

no varnull said that in another thread where a guy is talking about having like 59 files.im not sure if it was a torrent dl or what but varnull says not to use qwix

13. varnull

varnull Guest

Don't use qwix unless you absolutely need to.. My experience is it makes buggy isos. I always use clonexb unless I need to make a large 6 gig game (like san andreas or tomb raider ) fit in a dvd5.

In 3 years of ripping and uploading I used it less than 10 times. That's 750 plus games.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  14. axel09

axel09 Member

whooathats alot of games!!! I will try clonexb does it maqke ios from a folder like qwix?

15. axel09

axel09 Member

thanks for the name of a good program Im reading good things about it.will it do the same thing for a game on the hard drive?