OS problems since PCI card installation.. help plz

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by geekboy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. geekboy

geekboy Member

Hi ladies and gents,

Thanks for at least opening up to see what my exact problem is, I hope you can help.

Ok, I installed 2 new PCI cards late last week.
    One was the Dazzle DV Clip card (which is very decent, basically a firewire card and some Pinnacle software) and the other a USB2.0 PCI card and hub (the hub runs from the card via an extension cable, though not a USB interface; the hub had no power from an outside source).

Anyway, both devices are runnning beautifully but when I shut-down my PC, just after I hear the fans slowing to a halt, the PC starts up again, as if I just restarted.

I'm using Windows ME *avoids stone throwers*...
    I obviously suspect one of these PCI cards is the cause of the problem.
    Anyone shed any light on why the restart and any how to combat it? The USB hub is my first thought but I really don't know why.

2. forkman

forkman Member

Try taking one of the cards out and see if the problem is still there, if not change them over.
    It may be one of them not both ,and if you can establish which one it is visit the card makers website to see if anyone else has reported the same problem

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

IRQ Conflict perhaps? Try a different pci slot. :)

4. allanvon

allanvon Guest

i don't know if ME does this, but i do know that with 2000 or XP, if they get a stop error (or "blue screen of death") they are set to automatic restart, this may not be your case, but i'd try booting into safe mode, and then try shut down, if it shuts down, without restarting, then you have a problem with a program or service doing the restart, but i know that ME has MANY "issues" thats why MS say "fusk that" and is not making anymore 9X OS's and is only doing NT. and if i were you, get 2000 or XP, and if not go back to 98SE, ME is CRAP.