OS shows wrong Drive Letter

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by John375, Apr 20, 2005.

1. John375

John375 Guest

I have - - -
    - - - Two 36GB SCSI hard-drives, ID#1 and ID#2, each with WinXP installed
    - - - Usual Floppy attached
    - - - CD-Burner on EIDE-2 as a Master
    - - - All else is disconnected - (Removeable HD's & other burners)

I am not using any partitions, nor any RAID functions now
    The SCSI drives are connected via a LSI Logic PCI-SCSI-card - (the LSI20320-R)
    I use different color desktops to easily identify the two WinXP's

I can bootup into either of the two WinXP Operating Systems
    Problem is that - - -
    - - - When booted into ID#1 WinXP, it reads as the C-Drive
    - - - When booted into ID#2 WinXP, it reads as the D-Drive - (Should read as C-drive)

a) That is, when booted into the first ID#1 WinXP, the drives are
    - - - Drive-A = Floppy
    - - - Drive-C = WinXP-SCSI-1 - - Booted into this, when this drive-picture taken
    - - - Drive-D = CD-RW
    - - - Drive-E = WinXP-SCSI-2

b) And, when booted into the second ID#2 WinXP, the drives are
    - - - Drive-A = Floppy
    - - - Drive-C = WinXP-SCSI-1
    - - - Drive-D = WinXP-SCSI-2 - - Booted into this, when this drive-picture taken
    - - - Drive-E = CD-RW

In (b) - when booted into WinXP-SCSI-2 - I need to get WinXP-SCSI-2 to read as the C-drive, not the D-drive. . . . Identifying this WinXP (when booted into it) as the D-drive is a problem as all Internet downloads and software-saves want to go to some folder in the C-drive, not the D-drive

For the record - rather than tediously install everything onto both HD's one hard-drive at a time - all was first installed to WinXP-SCSI-1 while it alone was connected. . . . And then a drive-image software was used to copy WinXP-SCSI-1 over into WinXP-SCSI-2. . . . . There may have been a problem in this copying, though, as the LSI Logic PCI-SCSI-card Bios-Firmware were set to RAID-Mirroring at the time. . . . . I subsequently (after the copying was done) updated this Bios-Firmware to Non-RAID.

I have done this drive-image copying HD-to-HD before with no problem. . . .SCSI-to-EIDE or SCSI-to-SATA (or vice versa) were all fine. . . .But not when using two SCSI hard-drives connected to a SCSI-PCI-card that was set to RAID-Mirroring

Thanks in advance to all for any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  2. John375

John375 Guest

I thank all that made suggestions, as in the end, these suggestions got me to figuring-out what to do and shoved me in the right direction. . . . Particularly by "wander" at computing.net who triggered my search of the Internet. . . . And also by Adrian over at www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1114098981. . . . I am particularly thankful to the excellent articles at the site - www.goodells.net

Summarizing, I have - - -
    - - Two SCSI hard-drives, ID#1 and ID#2, with WinXP-SP2 installed on SCSI-1
    - - Usual Floppy attached
    - - CD-Burner on EIDE-2 as a Master
    - - All else is disconnected - (Removeable HD's & other burners)

I wish to OS-clone the WinXP on SCSI-1 over onto SCSI-2, retaining both OS's when done. . . . Thus, in the end, to be able to boot into either WinXP, as I choose during bootup

The first time that I did this OS-cloning, then subsequently booted into the SCSI-2 WinXP, it showed-up as the D-drive, whereas it should of indicated as being the C-drive. . . . So, clearly I did not do a good OS-cloning here

I am not using any partitions, nor any RAID functions now
    SCSI drives connect to a LSI Logic PCI-SCSI-card - (the LSI20320-R)

I use different color desktops to easily identify the two WinXP's
    - - - SCSI-1 is to be a blue desktop
    - - - SCSI-2 is to be a green desktop
    And in Windows Explorer, my drives are re-named as
    - - - WinXP-SCSI-1
    - - - WinXP-SCSI-2
    I do this desktop coloring & drive-naming on all my computers

For the record. my SCSI drives are Maxtor 36-GB SCSI-320. . . . Drivers must be installed during bootup, or the computer can not see these SCSI hard-drives. . . . Windows accepts these drivers, but often other softwares (many boot managers or recovery softwares) do not accept these drivers. . . . I was once told that this occurs because of how the drivers are packaged - that is, I guess, whether some parts of the drivers are in sub-folders. . . . Often, I just give-up on trying to use some softwares. . . . One day, maybe I will look into this driver-acceptance problem

One superb suggestion (by "wander" at computing.net) was to just to do a search-&-replace to replace all the c:\ entries with d:\. . . . . The suggestion was to use MS Word, though many third-party Reg-Editors also could do the task. . . . . I was hesitant to do this, as I was dealing with some 15,000 changes. . . . I was not sure that Word or a Reg-Editor would crash while attempting so many changes all-at-once. . . . I was to lazy to to think of doing it in parts. . . . And, I wanted a way of installing two WinXP's correctly on any computer

Another superb suggestion (by Adrian at www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1114098981) was to rename drive letters beforehand, then do the OS-cloning, and finalize by editing some Registry values. . . . I could not do his suggestion of booting-up and working from a Recovery CD - rather than working from within the WinXP on SCSI-1 - as I could not get the Maxtor SCSI-320 drivers to be accepted

Rel to - http:/www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm. . . . This article, How to Manage System and Boot Drive Letters, gives three methods on fixing OS drive letters. . . . I did not try these, as in my case, it was just better to re-do the OS-cloning the correct way.

Per - www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm - - - Dan Goodell states two general rules for successful cloning of NT-family OS's:

- - a) Do not let old-XP see the new partition before cloning. . . Doing so would give XP a chance to assign a drive letter, it will be remembered by the registry when it is cloned, and the clone will adopt the wrong drive letter for itself.

- - b) Do not let new-XP see the old-XP partition the first time it boots. . . If new-XP sees old-XP, it won't reuse the original drive letter when it assigns a drive letter to itself. (Once XP-2 has booted and reallocated new drive letters, the old-XP partition can be reintroduced into the system, if desired.)

Relative to (a), per Dan Goodell,

i - - It appears that one does not even want to connect the new SCSI-2 hard-drive - meaning a formatted hard-drive here - if one is planning on booting into the OS on SCS-1 hard-drive. . . . For then the Windows on SCSI-1 will stick a drive-letter on the new SCSI-2 hard-drive

ii - - It also appears that one has to do this OS-cloning from something other than being booted into the SCSI-1 WinXP and using a Windows based cloning software therein. . . Meaning the OS-cloning must be done from some DOS partition, from PowerQuest's Drive-Image Recovery CD, or from Norton's Ghost CD. . . (I have never used Ghost) . . . Otherwise there is no way to keep WinXP from seeing that new partition - (the other SCSI -2 hard-drive, in my case). . . . . . (I tried this, using a Drive-Image Recovery CD, but I could not get the SCSI-320 drivers accepted here)

iii - - Though it maybe possible to use a trick. . . . Say, use Partition Magic or other partitioning-software to delete that new hard-drive. . . . Meaning, to make it unformatted, and thus invisible to Windows. . . . . Then, use a Windows based OS-cloning software to clone the OS of SCSI-1 over into the unformated SCSI-2 hard-drive

Relative to (b), per Dan Goodell, he is suggesting to unplug the original SCSI-1 hard-drive before allowing the computer to boot into this newly cloned OS on SCSI-2 hard-drive

So, I re-did the OS-Cloning following Dan Goodell's advice. . . . 1) I deleted the formatting of SCSI-2, so that it became unallocated space, now no longer visible to the WinXP on SCSI-1, but still physically connected within the computer . . . 2) I then OS-cloned WinXP (with blue desktop) on SCSI-1 over onto SCSI-2, making the new WinXP on SCSI-2 active. . . . 3) I shut the computer down, and unplugged the ribbon cable to SCSI-1. . . . 4) I booted-up, thereby going into WinXP on SCSI-2 which read correctly as the C-drive. . . . 5) Next changed the desktop to green on SCSI-2, so that I could easily tell at a glance what WinXP that I had booted-into . . . . 6) Next right-click and changed the drive name in Windows Explorer to.WinXP-SCSI-2, as it was OS-cloned over as #1 . . . 7i) Next shut down, re-connected SCSI-1 ribbon cable, rebooted, and it automatically entered the WinXP on SCSI-1

To get my computer bootup to show the choices
    - - - WinXP Pro SP2 Blue
    - - - WinXP Pro SP2 Green
    - - - WinXP Recovery Console
    Where default is the Blue (after 10 seconds)
    With Up-Down arrows switching choices

I used the WinXP-SP2 Recovery Console
    - - Run Start-Help on how to install and use this
    - - In particular the bootcfg command
    - - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=317521
    - - Use the command . . bootcfg help . . to activate the help list
    - - Use the command . . bootcfg /rebuild or bootcfg /add

Note - Adding the new WinXP to the bootup list with bootcfg /rebuild, requires two more entries
    - - - Enter Load Identifier. . . . Type the description of the installation that you want displayed on the Startup menu. . . . For example, type Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - or type WinXP Pro SP2 Green - and then press ENTER.
    - - - Enter OS Load Options. . . . Type the operating system load options that you want.. . . . For example, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

A minor correction was needed . . . . When in WinXP on SCSI-1, I could not see the WinXP on SCSI-2. . . . Vice-versa, when in the WinXP on SCSI-2, I could see both WINXP's that were installed. . . . In WinXP on SCSI-1, I used a partition-software to simply hide the SCSI-2 WinXP - (it was already hidden to windows) - and then did a unhide (reboot was required) to eliminate the problem.

All is now okay. . . . With both SCSI-drives connected, I can boot into either WinXP as I choose. . . . . Or with any of the two SCSI hard-drives disconnected, I can boot into the one still connected

When all done, I checked the Boot.ini file on WinXP SCSI-1
    It read - - -
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro SP2 Blue" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro SP2 Green" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="WinXP Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Next task, after some resting, is to add still another WinXP on a EIDE hard-drive connected as a slave on EIDE-Ch-3. . . . I will use this third WinXP simply as a backup should I have some crash or corruption on the SCSI WinXP's. . . . .When a SCSI WinXP goes bad, I prefer to make the corrections (or drive image recall) from some remote WinXP on my machine, even if I need to open the case to connect the cables to that third WinXP to do the recall . . . . . My system allows 4-SATA hard-drives, 8-EIDE devices, and 15-SCSI devices. . . . I usually have burners as masters on the EIDE channels, with removeable hard-drives as slaves. . . . My motherboard has had trouble in recognizing a stand-alone WinXP on any SATA hard-drive, but this may be because I need to update the MB's Bios, re-package the SATA drivers better, or perhaps re-do the WinXP SATA install more correctly

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005