Output from computer to Sony DCR -TRV 530

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by joeme2, Sep 11, 2005.

1. joeme2

joeme2 Member

I have a Sony DCR-TRV530 camcorder. I use MGI videowave 5 software. I can transfer the files from the camcorder to the videowave 5 software over the IEEE 1394 firewire just fine. However, I can't output a produced file from the computer to the camcorder. Videowave 5 acts like it starts OK but a red dot comes up on the camcorder. Any suggetions?

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The red dot means thet the camcorder is switched to recording mode so that looks good. If the tape does not start to run, there is probably something wrong with the device control.
    I suggest to try one of the freeware capturing utilities like WinDV. A selection of freeware programs can be found at http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php

3. joeme2

joeme2 Member

I downloaded the microsoft software DVapp.exe along with the DLL. I can operate the camcorder from the application fine. However, I still can't get the file to transfer to the camcorder. I set the input file but no luck.

Well, so I set the input file to several different files and I couldn't get them to do anything. They wouldn't even preview. So I was wandering if something is wrong with the format. However, the files would play fine on the windows media player.

So how do I get DVapp to send a file to the camcorder?

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you have doubt about the format of the video file, check the following.
    1. A DV-AVI should take around 13GB per hour.
    2. Open the file in G-spot. Let it render, then the filters used should indicate: (S) --> AVI Splitter --> DV Video Decoder --> (R)

5. joeme2

joeme2 Member

I might be getting in over my head by suggesting the file format is wrong. I don't know anything about codec or rendering, etc. I selected an AVI file as both the input file and then I selected it as the output file ... but nothing would send it to the camcorder.

Can you tell me how to get the free software DVapp I download to send a file to the camcorder?

Or can you tell me what to do next to get information on the problem?

Thanks,
    Joe.

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Please be aware that AVI cancontain all tupe of compressions and in order to play it back you should have a DV-AVI, so doing at leas the first check (looking at the size which would equate to 13GB per hour) is very simple.

This is how to operate DVApp:
    Start the program. Select File->Set Input file... and select the file that you want to put on tape.
    Select Graph Mode->File (type 1 or type 2) to DV
    Press the "play" button and immediately the red "record" button.

I must say that DVApp is the oldest of the freeware programs and therefor not very userfriendly. WinDV is much nicer and easier to use. You can download that also at http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php

7. joeme2

joeme2 Member

Gspot
    File: File length correct
    Stream type and A/V interleave: Type Multipart Open DMLAVI
    Video: Codec n.a. and n.a. for everthing else under Video.

When I render the file it provided the following information:
    Video Src Type dvsd
    Video Path:(S)->AVI Splitter->DV Splitter->DV Video Decoder->(R)
    Audio Path:(S)->AVI Splitter->DV Splitter->(R)

8. joeme2

joeme2 Member

I used WinDV to send the file to my camcorder. It looked like it was recording but it would show something like a still picture then show blank tape for a while then show another apparent still picture.

Your suggestions are appriciated.

9. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The video format is OK.
    Looks like you're having some other problem which is not software related. Is DV-in enabled on your camcorder? If you're in Europe there is a chance that it was nEUtered (meaning that DV-in was disabled. Maybe the DV-in was enabled later on using a widget and something went wrong there. I can only recommend to test your camcorder on another PC to find out if it is your camcorder or your PC taht is causing the problem...

10. joeme2

joeme2 Member

To answer your question: I read my manual and couldn't find a way to turn DV-IN off. However, the manual didn't really talk about much about sending a file from the computer to the camcorder. Do you know how I can find out if my camcorder has nEUtered?

Now for what I've done. I got another camcorder and it didn't work. I also tried MovieMaker and captured a test file. The capture went fine. (However, MovieMaker asked me if I wanted to capture in DV-AVI format. VideoWave didn't ask this question.) Then I tried to send out the new file on the different camcorder with different software. No success.

So what is next? The only thing I can think of is the IEEE card can take information in but it can't send information out. What do you think? How is the best way to check this?

Thanks,
    Joe.

11. joeme2

joeme2 Member

The camcorder gets some of the information. It will show part of a picture chopped up and then not show anything for maybe 20 seconds and then show part of any frame, etc. Is there any sync that needs to be set up. Do I need to go to the control panel and set up anything?

Thanks,
    Joe.

12. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, I think you definitely have a hardware defect somewhere. There is no need to do any synchronisation set up. Again, I would try your camcorder on another system to make sure that your camcorder is OK. If that is the case, remount your Firewire card. Or is there a faulty connection in the cable?