Over clocking AMD

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Tanksta, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Tanksta

Tanksta Regular member

Does anyone know how to overclock a AMD 2000XP

Thanks in advance

2. bird1234

bird1234 Member

There's an easy way, and a harder way.

Before you try anything, make sure you have a good heatsink and fan combo. If you don't have the cooling, don't even try it. I have a Thermaltake Smart fan 2 that is running at max speed which is 75cfm, along with a good copper heatsink. If you just have the stock heatsink/fan combo that AMD gives you, don't overclock it to much or you could probably fuse the CPU with the motherboard. I've seen it and it's not pretty. Another thing is will your motherboard allow for it. I am using an A7N8X deluxe. Average at best for overclocking.

The easy way, in your bios, just up your front side bus. Now it is preferred that you have some quality RAM that is faster than PC2100. You don't want to overheat the RAM to much. On the XP 2000, I was able on my setup to take it 1.96 stable, anything higher and started to errors and artifacts in games. That was about a 155 FSB (310).

The harder way is to "un-lock" the CPU. It requires some steady hands and some patience. Just look on line for unlocking techniques. I just use what is called XP-TMC. It is made by Upgradeware. If you unlocked it, lower the Multiplier and raise the FSB for better performance (go according what your RAM will allow). I use an XP 2400 now and it runs cool at 2.2 GHZ with a 169FSB (338).

Hope this story helps

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

The A7N8X Delux is awesome for OCing dude (so is the Abit NFS7). Of couirse it does come down to actual indivudual mobos (capacitors etc). Since you're running the Palo's youre definitly gonna have to watch the temp ;-)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  4. bird1234

bird1234 Member

My friend has the DFI LanParty Mobo, now that's an overclockers dream board. You can raise the FSB to a max of 600 Mhz, CPU voltages over 2.00, raise the voltage to the chipset, and apparently with a regular XP 2400 without the XP-TMC, it unlocked the CPU. Only about $180 here in the states. On most of Asus's motherboards, you couldn't come close to doing some of that. Of course the Rev. 2 of the A7N8X is probably better, mine is Rev. 1. I've had it since it came out, which was top of the line then. I just don't feel like reformatting windows, and reinstalling all the software again, that would take me a week. Asus is great for simple OCing, not for the crazy one's like my friend. Who ever heard of a person using a truck radiator for a liquid cooling setup?