PCMCIA firewire+USB don't see any devices

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by coolvideo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. coolvideo

coolvideo Member

I bought PCMCIA firewire+USB combo card. It is with 2 USB ports and 1 big and 1 small firewire ports. Device manager see this card. But I connected my DV camera to firewire and my laptop don't see it. Also I inserted my flash stick to USB port, laptop don't recognize it too.
    When PCMCIA card is inserted, windows cannot restart and SHUT DOWN, it freezes on Computer is shutting down. Also I cannot use Safely remove Hardware then, it doesn't popup anymore. When card is removed, everything works nice.
    This card is No Name, came with small CD with drivers.
    My ACER Travelmate works on Windows XP SP2.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

How does it turn up in your device manager?
    Your Firewire connection should turn up as a a OHCI Compliant controller under a category "IEEE1394 Bus host controllers".
    If that is OK you could press the troubleshoot button if you look at the properties of that device.

3. coolvideo

coolvideo Member

Yes. In device manager I can see it as OHCI Compliant controller. And it tells: device is working properly. But when I connect for example flash memory to this USB port, then nothing happens and after that computer USB ports don't see my flash too. Also I connected my camcorder through firewire, but my capture soft tells that there is no cam. And for bonus - I can't Restart or Shut Down. I must hold down POWER button for few seconds to turn off my Acer TravelMate.
    is it possible that some No Name cards is unuseful. Or more believable is that problem is in my laptop?
    Thank You all if has ideas.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Difficult to telle whether you have a defective card or a compatibiliy issue with the laptop.
    I would call in support from the card supplier.

5. coolvideo

coolvideo Member

Thank You! As I understand I have to try to buy new card. Because this NO NAME card came from Hong Kong, I purchased it in internet. It wasn't smart to do that.

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I realy don't know. Before you throw it away and buy a new one, I would test it on another laptop. And before you buy another card, try to get one so that you can test on your laptop.
    It would be a real shame if at then end of the line your laptop turns out to be the problem.

7. coolvideo

coolvideo Member

Thank You, TPFKAS. I will give a try.