philips 642 dvd/divx player lip sync issues

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by tee99, May 5, 2005.

1. tee99

tee99 Regular member

folks

have a new philips 642 dvd player that plays virtually everything - incredible - although appear to have lipsync issues when playing back divx encoded avi files.

the strange thing is that this is resolved by going in to, then simply exiting the dvd's setup menu - not doing anything! (first time was to just check the setup)

is there a firmware upgrade or anything i should be aware of?

cheers in advance

2. 1for1

1for1 Member

I have the same DVD Player, which is officially certified to play DivX files. But unfortunately, i am facing the same issues and more when I try to play Dr.DivX encoded files with my own PC.

Surprisingly enough, I was able to play one trailor video in DivX format, downloaded from web, in the same player. Excellent performance too.

So, I think the issue is more related to the correct encoding procedure. Eventhough, I tried with various profiles within Dr.DivX software and none of them are working properly.

Athlon XP 2000+ on Gigabyte K7 Triton,(GA-7VKML-P)
    512 MB DDR RAM, ATI All-in-Wonder AGP Display Card 32 MB (Rage 128)
    80GB Seagate Barracuda IDE 7200RPM, Toshiba 16X DVD+R/RW Writer
    Windows XP SP2

3. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

I, too, have noticed the same thing. I watch a lot of tv eps encoded to divx. I tend to notice the lip synching about half way through an hour long episode, but I do the menu trick and all apears fine. I can live with it. I love my Philips...

4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

try changing the audio settings to PCM only.....that should do the trick

5. tayna4u

tayna4u Member

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out solution for lip-synch problem. I have a brand new PC with plenty of resources, but when I encoded movies with DivX codec I always had lipsynch issue. It happened on my 642 player and on my PC. Tried few suggestions found on www.divx.com forums, but nothing really worked well.
    Two solutions are possible:
    1. Encode with Divx codec and then fix lipsynch issue with AVInfo (http://shounen.ru/soft/avinfo/desc_en.shtml). However, I experienced bad quality of sound on DVP 642 if I mock with audio :-(
    2. Stop using DivX and start using XviD codec. Get the latest codec from http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/ With XviD codec I never had lip-synch issue. I encoded movies using this codec and tools like DVDx and VirtualDub. Everything works well and DVP 642 is able to play such movies. Good luck!

6. tee99

tee99 Regular member

cheers for this - will give it a go

however, bit of a pain, if i have to re-encode stuff i have spent ages getting hold of...

7. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

Tayna, I tried using DVDx and Xvid. What sort of encode settings do you use to get high quality encodes? Is 2 Pass a must or is 1 pass sufficient? I tried 1 pass with about 900kbs quality and it didn't come out real well. It did play on my Philips so I am on the right track.

Thanks for your post.

8. tayna4u

tayna4u Member

Two passes always give better results than a single pass. De gustibus non est disputandum, however I am using following settings and they work well for me:

DVDx output settings:
    Audio - Lame mp3 192 Kb/s, 44.1 KHz, 16 bits, Q3
    Two passes:
    * Pass 1 settings
    - "Profile @ Level" = AS @ L4, be sure than under this profile you DO NOT select any of these: Adaptive Quantization, Interlaced Encoding, Quarter Pixel, Global Motion Compression, keep defaults
    - Encoding type: 1st pass, keep defaults
    - All other options for 1st pass leave what offered as default

* Pass 2 settings
    - Profile @ Level = AS @ L4, the same comment about what not to be set as I gave for 1st pass. Otherwise, your player may go tits up.
    - Encoding type: 2nd pass, leave default values
    - Target size: Keep clicking on that item/button below "Encoding type" until you get "Target bitrate (kbps). I select usually 850

For both passes do not change Advanced Options unless you know what you are into.

Export Settings: Resolution 576x352
    Zoom: Full (16.9 or 4:3 input)
    Resize: Bilinear MMX
    - Be sure you click on "Whole"

You can increase bitrate under settings for Pass 2. Also you can go with AS @ L5. I hope this helps. If you find my recommendations too cryptic probably they are. There is plenty of resources on the web with graphic illustrations regarding XviD codec settings.

Good luck!