Philips DVP642 uploading Codecs..

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Eazyduzit, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Eazyduzit

Eazyduzit Regular member

Some of my avi files play on this player but the picture is tottally wacko like its fruity colors and stuff but the movie does play. Im thinking its the codecs dosnt read that particullar movie, anyone know whgat the problem is it works fine on my comp. this only happens with some movies

thanks

2. Cassidymi

Cassidymi Member

I found this site today because I am researching this exact same problem. Every Divx and Xvid I have tried for a month has worked great, except the last 2. I checked the files in Gspot as I learned here and they are not OPEL or GMC. I am using discs from a spindle and have not had a problem before these last 2 Xvid movies. I am at a loss for what the problem is.

3. Eazyduzit

Eazyduzit Regular member

Yea, also i was updating the firmware when someone by mistake shut it off and now it dosnt work, the red stand by light is on but theres no lcd screen text i think its broke it wont eject the firware cd either

4. Jallan

Jallan Regular member

This thread is relevant to my interests.

5. rocky7

rocky7 Guest

Hi Guys,
    I recently bought a Philips DVP 642 Player. It plays almost all the formats, except for one thing. My friend gave me a movie burnt on a CD. When I tried to play it on my DVP 642, it kept skipping and jumping(time used to jump) and jerking making it unwatchable. Is it the problem with the DVD player or should I upgrade to the latest firmware. Please let me know how to solve this.
    Thanks in advance

6. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

if the color and picture is off on your latest Xvid files it's actually a codec problem. one way around it so you can at least view the movie is to press the DVD MENU button twice on the remote at the start of the movie and it fixes the color and messed up picture...

7. Cassidymi

Cassidymi Member

The menu button fix has worked for me on some files. But the 2 files I am reffering too are not as bad as the ones that clear up when Menu is pushed. But they are pixelated and the picture streaks. The menu fix does nothing. So far it is only 2 files. I was worried because it happened on 2 files in a row, from totally different sources. The frame rate etc, is all normal, the codec is the same as my working files. I am going to reburn on new discs and see, but 3 discs in a row (1 files was 2 discs) suffer from this problem, so I don't think it is the disc. If burning on new discs still does not fix the problem I will try reencoding. These files look awesome on my computer, and many others with the same file are not having this problem. I have spent a week searching threads for the answer and still nothing. I have burned and played several files since these 2 that were fine. For now I will chalk it up to the machie not being 100% Xvid compatible and just hope it is a very rare occurance, because though watchable, it is not very pleasurable to watch.