Phillips DVP642 and progressive scan problem

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by rdvenom, Oct 5, 2005.

1. rdvenom

rdvenom Member

Hi, I just got this player and it seems that I have to turn progressive scan output on in the menu every time I turn the player on. It says it's on in the menu options but the picture quality is crap so I turn it off and back on and then it looks excellent. Is there a fix for this because it's quite a nuisance. Thanks

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

just out of curiosity, what kind of tv do you have it hooked up to, and what kind of video cable are you using?

3. rdvenom

rdvenom Member

The TV is a Toshiba 57" HDTV widescreen, not sure on exact model number, and I'm using monster component video cables.

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

is threre a middle man there? ie; a receiver of some sort. or is it straight from the dvd player to the tv?
    i am looking for an article i read about your player, but in the mean time, do a google on your dvd model, like this
    Phillips DVP642 and progressive scan problem or
    reviews on (said player)
    thats how i found it....

5. rdvenom

rdvenom Member

The component cables go directly from the DVD player to the back of the TV. I've read through hundreds of reviews of this player at numerous sites on the internet and only one other mention of this problem. Can anyone who has this player with an HDTV using component video cables please verify if progressive scan works correctly? Maybe I have a faulty player.

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

does your tv have settings for progressive scan? can they be changed? do you have another dvd player to test with? if in doubt on your phillips, return it for an exchange. i am just tyring to eliminte possible problems. does the tv support progressive format? is it on burned dvds or pressed dvds only when you have the problem?

7. rdvenom

rdvenom Member

I was using a toshiba progressive scan DVD player previously without a problem. It's definitely something with the player itself. It happens with both burned and retail DVD's.

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

i'd say i too think i is the player at fault. try to exchange it. i personally have the LG LDA-511, nice player too. b/b has it for about $140 now i think.