Picture quality issues

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by jadzia007, Dec 12, 2005.

1. jadzia007

jadzia007 Member

Hi...I think this is the correct forum. Basically I'm a newbie to this wonderful world of Digital camcorders and dvd authoring. What fun. Anyway, I have a question about the dvd camcorder and quality. I have a cannon Optima 30 and I just recorded a dance recital. I noticed...the black stage background....well you can see those little squares soemtimes. Ya know..the ones that sometimes you see in digital signals. Sorry...I don't know the technical name :) Is this a correctable problem? Am I doing something wrong in the recording....or is it just a product of the digital picture. Thanks

elle

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I guess you mean the Canon Optura 30...
    If these blocks are not there on the original miniDV recording, but they show up after encoding for DVD, it is caused by low quality encoding.
    Blockiness is typically a result of using either a bad encoder or using low quality settings for the encoder. What did you use to encode your orginal? And at what settings (specifically the bitrate)?

3. jadzia007

jadzia007 Member

Yeah Optura 30 :) I'm using windows move maker....I have Video Explosion and I think I got a Pinacle Studio program with a capture card I just bought. I'll post the bitrate as soon as I figure out how to see it. If it helps....I just used the default settings in windows movie maker. So...if I have to encode a new movie...does that mean I have to use the better software to capture the video...and basically start all over? Thanks..

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you're capturing with MovieMaker usingd default settings, you're capturing to wmv. Unless you're not planning to do anything else except for keeping it on your hard drive and playing on your PC, this is not the right format. If you're planning to go to DVD, you should transfer to DV-AVI.
    Check this: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/moviemakermistakes.php

5. jadzia007

jadzia007 Member

THanks....that's some good info..and hopefully will take care of the problem. I also may try to do it in the new Pinnacle studio I got.....thanks so much.