Play game .ISO's from HDD?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Kronyk420, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

My apologies if this is a repeat post, but 2 hours of forum and Google searching came up dry........My Console: Xbox v1.6, softmod with UnleashX dash, XBMC, Evox, and Avalaunch as alternates in C:\, 250 WD HDD.....My question: Can you play .XISO's from the hard drive without unpacking first? Both UnleashX and XBMC have booted regular DVD .ISO's for me (only through the file manager, not the video viewers), I just clicked and it loaded like a program. I cannot get my .XISO's to do the same and do not want to burn my backups to DVD (seems like a huge waste, when I have a 250 GB HDD to store them on.) The reason for this (if anyone is wondering) is for storing games that do not fit the FAT file system and freeze or do not load when the names are truncated. (Gun, Tony Hawk AW, etc.). An obvious way around this would be to boot the .XISO from the hard drive, in which they store easily. I glimpsed at a thread on this forum 2 weeks ago that detailed how to do it, but do you think I can find it again? I hope somebody knows.........

2. Nu2Mods

Nu2Mods Guest

use qwix to upload an iso to your hard drive and it will play.

3. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

Won't that just transfer and unpack the Iso's, thus truncating the longer filenames which causes the freeze already? Just a different program to do what I have done and tried already...I only ask because I like to know before putting new programs on the dash (just finished tweaking it, don't wanna screw it up :) ) I would like to leave the game in Iso format and play it directly. From qwix homepage it doesn't sound like that's what it does.....I need a Virtual Drive or something (just gave myself a new search idea, be right back.....)

4. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

No luck on that search................does anybody know what I'm trying to do? I'm 100% sure it can be done, as I read about it on another post but cannot find it. (I paid no mind when I saw it the first time as I didn't understand why anyone would want to do that, doh!!!)

5. steimy

steimy Active member

I wish i could remember the name of the program.
    But yes, there is a program you can put on the Xbox to
    allow you to play games in ISO format rather than game folders.
    But the truth is that it will take you no longer to extract the ISO with FTP as it would to transfer an ISO. so you are not really gaining anything.

If you get no answer try posting at www.xtreme-source.com
    a few really smart Xbox guys there who will most likely know.

6. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

Again, the idea of what I'm trying to do is avoid unpacking ISOs that contain filenames longer than 42 characters, and cause the games to freeze when they are truncated to fit the Xbox filing system. I know I can FTP/unpack an ISO to my Xbox, I've done it with all my other game backups ( I store them in ISO so its one file instead of 1000 or 500 or whatever). But that causes these games to freeze. And I also know burning them to a DVD will also play them, but that is not what I want to do as I find discs to be cumbersome and annoying. Not to be rude, but I'm not looking for alternatives here, I want to play an ISO from my HDD............the other reason is file organization. I find it much easier to organize folders with only a few files (FTP queue time is more accurate for one) than to unpack games that have 30 subfolders and 1000 1KB .wav files. Understand now? :)

7. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

By the way, I forgot to sat thanks to Nu2Mods and steimy. I appreciate you both taking the time to provide possible solutions to my query.

And thanks for the link to www.extreme-source.com. I'll try there too. :)