Poor picture quality when burning to dvd

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by rtptb, Oct 24, 2005.

1. rtptb

rtptb Member

i have usd nero 7 and roxio to convert avi files (uploaded from mini dv camera) to mpeg2 and burned them to dvd and have experienced a big drop in picture quality and smoothness of the video. I hve set everything to highest quality in the video settings box. Is this normal as i have tried several times and got the same result. The idea of burning to dvd was to get the best quality but at the moment i get much better results sending video to vhs tapes. Surley this should not happen. I would be greatful for any help or advice.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

3. rtptb

rtptb Member

thank you. That is an excellent improvement. the only problem now is i cant incert chapters or a menu on the dvd. is there a way around this. thanks again

4. bufalo

bufalo Member

rtptb, I am a major newbie with this stuff, but this site has really helped me out. I don´t know if this is the best way to do it, but I get good results. Iused Windows Movie Maker to download the video, WinAvi to convert and TMPGenc DVD author to author and then burn. Looks great so far. I have NERO 6... and haven´t tested it out yet after authoring, I don´t know that I will because like I said, it looks fine already.

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you use an separate encoder to create an MPEG-2 you can import that into an authoring program to create menu's, chapters etc.
    You actually can fdeed the MPEG-2 into Nero VisionExpress also, but you need to take care that Nero doen's re-encode your MPEG-2.
    Here's a starting point that may create a good understanding: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/tapetodvd.php

6. rtptb

rtptb Member

cheers folks. cant work out how to stop nero vision re encoding but had a look at TMPGEnc and it seems to be good. thanks for the advice.