Possible key logger?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Dshavilan, May 15, 2009.

1. Dshavilan

Dshavilan Member

I know this forum typically doesn't cover pc games but I also know there are many brilliant minds on this site that may be able to help. I play world of warcraft with a friend of mine. Recently he got an in game e-mail that was from someone who looked like our guild leader. He went to the site and it asked him to save a file which he did do. I had him immediatly run ad aware and AVG to try and find it because I knew something wasn't right. He also did a system recovery to a week ago but I don't believe that can solve anything in my opinion. The site was
    ****()()()() WARNING THIS BE THE SITE ()()()()***
    golewow.com/wow.exe
    and he did choose to save the program. my question is what is this software and what could my friend do to make sure his computer is secure again. His biggest concern is it being a key logger because he does all of his banking online. I greatly appreciate any help that you guys can offer. Thank you

2. Gurenn

Gurenn Member

what is your friend up to anyway saving that executable file? there might be hidden codes within that file that could possibly target your PC's ID's and passwords. Tell your friend to be careful. Not all .exe files with malicious scripts can be detected even by the most powerful anti-virus/anti-malware.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if you can do a search of the file on the pc & if found, delete it.

4. Dshavilan

Dshavilan Member

He isn't the smartest cookie and thought it was a guild video to watch *exe = avi somehow* So basically it sounds like we did the best we could outside of wiping the drive or taking it in to a place to get it fixed. We ran all the scan and he couldn't find the file when he did a search. Thanks for the help guys :D