printer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rtrg, Apr 20, 2008.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Can someone help me install a BROTHER HL1440 laser printer on a tower running win xp pro? I need step by step instructions. The printer is NOT on the printer list, nor can the WIZARD install it, "cannot find driver". Apparently it is NOT a PLUG AND PLAY printer. I tried useing the HL1270 which IS on the list. Errors on resulting page. Wrong driver? HELP!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Use the drivers disk that came with the printer. If you don't have the disk, go to the Brother website, download and install the drivers.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I tried to download the drivers/software. It would not download, at least I think it didn*t. In order to download the file I need to install WINZIP first. That did not download either. I named the file HL1440, which is the name of the printer, "file could not be found". WINZIP did NOT install, NO desktop icon. NO disc available. I will NOT buy a disc, it is not worth it to me. I will stay with my HP 6P if I have to. 1440 is much faster. Is there an easier way to install this printer? WINZIP is NOT FREE> I will NOT buy it just to install this one printer. There must be a better way. I called BROTHER was ignored, again! 1440 is NOT on the printer list, and is apparently NOT a plug/play either. I need REAL USEABLE INSTRUCTIONS. Members have been helpful in the past and I hope someone will come through for me again.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is an exe file on both files not zip files. make a folder called downloads on your hard drive & when clicking on download, direct it to the downloads folder.

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am a complete novice beyond the basics. How do I create a folder on the hard drive and what/how do I do with it after it is created? How do I find it again? Should and how do I delete them later after the printer is installed? Specific instructions please.