Problem Transfering MiniDV to PC via Firewire

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Meth0d, May 4, 2004.

1. Meth0d

Meth0d Member

Hi All,

I just bought a Canon MVX250i with the intention to transfer video from the tape to my computer.

I connect the firewire to the PC and then to the minidv, turn the mindv on (tried 'camera', 'play (VCR)' and 'Network' modes), open the 'canon video presenter' software (also tried Ulead) and click on the minidv camera icon to start transfering data and it says it cannot detect the camera.

The firewire cable is (brand new) 4-4 PIN.

My motherboard (MSI 875P NEO FISR) has onboard firewire (two ports, 4PIN and 6PIN).

I noticed in Windows XP Pro (the OS im running) it detects the onboard firewire connection as a network connection. Is this a problem?

Appart from the obvious (faulty firewire cable), what could the problem be?

Regards,
    Meth0d

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]There is method in my madness.[/small]

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  2. Meth0d

Meth0d Member

MORE| When I plug the USB cable in for transfer of still images the camera is detected.

All the software came with the camera, including drivers, twain drivers, video authoring tools etc etc Which Ive installed.

I've had a look on a few foums and had a closer look at my own system and this is what Ive found-

The problem could be:

1. A faulty firewire cable
    2. A faulty firewire port (on either the camera or pc)
    3. Try and disable the firewire network connection because Windows XP detects the firewire port as a network port (havent tried this yet)

I noticed that my computer has two firewire (1394) devices in the device manager. One is detected as the 1394 Network connection (card) and the other is detected as the 1394 firewire port. What Im wondering is, maybe the 4 PIN (I have a 4-4PIN cable) on my motherboard is the network connector and the 6 PIN is the firewire connector.

I'll have to source a 4-6 PIN cable from somewhere to test this theory.

I'll let you all know how I go...

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I can't really help with your camera problem, but I can say that Windows detecting your firewire port as a network device is fine. Unlike USB, firewire devices connected to your computer are a network of sorts. Where USB requres that 1 device (your PC) be in charge and tell every other device what to do, with firewire devices are equals and negotiate with each other to send and receive.

4. Meth0d

Meth0d Member

This did not work :(

5. Meth0d

Meth0d Member

Thanks for the info vurbal.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No problem. Sorry I couldn't help more.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member