Problem with Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Sheila1, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Sheila1

Sheila1 Guest

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice please?

A few monts ago I bought a JVC GR-DF470EK digital camcorder with built in camera.

I'm very new to using a camcorder and have used it for only about two hours, including looking through the menus, setting the date and time etc.

Recently, I took it to a christening and found that it would only record sound. The LCD display and the viewfinder were both black even though the lens cap had been removed. The situation remains the same whether I'm in video or camera mode.

I feel sure it's something silly that I've done, maybe selecting a menu choice by accident.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sheila :)

2. heilung05

heilung05 Member

Sheila Hopefully you bought it new and mechanically its ok.
    First idea talk to store who sold it for some quick free advice. Some mail order places might help for a few seconds if you bought from them ( I buy from B&H). Talk to friend who knows enough to help understand the manual.I hope the light chip is not fried as in pointing it at the sun.Heilung

3. heilung05

heilung05 Member

Another thought: With the book, try the different settings, practice practice before you have something important to record.The tape can be written over many times(I presume its a tape I dont know that model). so it wont cost anthing.Heilung

4. heilung05

heilung05 Member

Yet another thought: Is the battery good and fully charged. The indicators should tell you that. Heilung

5. yumzone

yumzone Member

Hi there I picked this up from the JVC site I dontknow if this helps or not ... . Important Notice to Camcorder Customers
    A. JVC has received reports that in certain circumstances, a small quantity of units of the models listed below, may, while in the camera mode, show no picture, a distorted picture and/or display ?LENS CAP? even though the lens cap is removed. We have identified the cause as a failure of the CCD image sensor. Until 1st October 2007, repairs of units exhibiting these problems will be made free of charge at JVC Authorised Service Centers. Please call 0870-330-5000 if you need any assistance in obtaining a free repair. We apologise for any inconvenience and are appreciative of your understanding and support.
    Model Numbers
    VHS-C Camcorders

GR-FX15E, GR-FXM393E, GR-FXM39E, GR-FX16E, GR-FXM404E, GR-FXM40E, GR-SX19E, GR-SX25E, GR-SXM29E, GR-SXM49E, GR-SX26E, GR-SXM30E, GR-SXM50EDVC Camcorders

GR-D20E, GR-D21E, GR-D22E, GR-D30E, GR-D31E, GR-D40E, GR-D50E, GR-D60E, GR-D70E, GR-DX25E, GR-DX35E, GR-DX45E, GR-DX55E, GR-DX75E, GR-DX95E, GR-PD1E, JY-HD10E, GR-D18E, GR-D225E, GR-D23E, GR-D24E, GR-D32E, GR-D33E, GR-D34E, GR-D43E, GR-D53E, GR-D54E, GR-D63E, GR-D73E, GR-DX27E, GR-DX28E, GR-DX36E, GR-DX37E, GR-DX47E, GR-DX48E, GR-DX57E, GR-DX67E, GR-DX77E, GR-DX78E, GR-DX97E

6. Sheila1

Sheila1 Guest

Hi All,

Thank you for all your advice, which I have followed but without success.

The machine *was* bought new and I've been back in touch with the people I bought it from.

After reading my fault form the company contacted me and wanted to send a courier to collect it (very impressed with that!) so that their technicians could inspect it and repair it. Failing that they will return it to JVC.

I was aware that there was a problem with certain JVC models but it only manifested itself in camera mode. My problem is with both and it wasn't listed on their site.

Many thanks for all your suggestions, they were appreciated.

I'll give you all some feedback when I get it.

Sheila :)