Problem with Medium

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by cateater, Nov 28, 2006.

1. cateater

cateater Member

My friend gave me 75+ DVD-R's... JVC and TDK. I have burned xbox games with Maxell DVD-R's many times before, but when I try using DVD Decrypter to burn ISO images to a disc, it gives me an incorrect medium message. Is there some difference in these medium types, and is there any way I can correct it?? I would hate to have 75+ DVD-R's rendered useless, as far as my xbox is concerned. Thanks!

2. NorcalGuy

NorcalGuy Guest

try burning with a program like sonic record now or A120% and sonic burns as a global image it may work better and has yet to give me any problems

3. cateater

cateater Member

I downloaded Sonic RecordNow and it still didnt work. This sucks.

4. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

First, I suggest downloading ImgBurn since it's a continuation of DVD Decrypter's burning abilities.

Second, go here.

JVC DVD-R media uses WealthFair Investments dye. I'm sure you've heard all of us badmouth Memorex/CMC, right? Well, WealthFair is actually worse than CMC. Hell, according to digitalFAQ it's the worst media on the market. Toss them out immediately.

The TDKs should work fine though.

5. cateater

cateater Member

I have a Micro-Solutions Backpack DVD R/RW... At first I could burn crappy Memorex dvd's, and sometimes Maxelle dvd's, so I went and bought a pack of 30 crappy memorex dvd's hoping they would continue to work, and of coarse they didnt. I have no clue. TDK, JVC, Memorex, Maxelle... None of these will work!! I wonder if my dvd burner is too old and crappy?! Thanks for the website, I have read over it and everything, but I still am confused about why none of the dvd's I have tried will burn. Is there any hope?!

6. steimy

steimy Active member

try going here and checking for the latest firmware.
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
    It could just be that your burner doesn't have good media compatibility and updated firmware can solve that.
    As far as the DVD brands you have i agree with the above.
    Try using the TDK and the others i would just use for backing up PC data as they will be fine for that. No reason to waste them, just do not use them for games.

7. cateater

cateater Member

Thanks man, but I cant seem to find the correct firmware I need to update the drive....I think the manufacters website (Micro-solutions.com) is down. I have not been able to access it for a few weeks.

8. steimy

steimy Active member

did you go to the link i gave you above?
    They have firmware for all kinds of different brands.
    Heck the site is called The Firmware Page

9. cateater

cateater Member

lol. Yeah, I went there and searched for Backpack DVD-R firmware and there were no search results.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

"lol. Yeah, I went there and searched for Backpack DVD-R firmware and there were no search results"

so that was a joke right?
    In case it was not you should search for your burners model number
    like Sony DRU-700A

11. cateater

cateater Member

See, heres the thing. I updated my firmware from a v. 1.05 to a 1.0c, which is the latest version for my hardware. Yet I am still unable to burn dvd's of any kind. I dont understand why the TDK's arent working. My DVD RW drive is externel, and connects to my PC via USB. I have heard that updating firmware for an external DVD R drive would not work, and could mess up the drive... I updated the firmware anyways, and everything seems to be fine, but I still cant burn dvd's.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  12. steimy

steimy Active member

can you list the name and model number on the burner you have so it can be researched?

the reason i ask is because the one page i found mentioned nothing about a DVD burner, just CD writers.

"About Micro Solutions

Founded in 1980, Micro Solutions, Inc. is the industry leader in parallel-port-attach mass storage technology. ``Backpack'' is the family name shared by all of Micro Solutions' external parallel port, PC Card and USB drives. Available in CD-RW, CD-ROM, hard drive and diskette drive models, Micro Solutions' award-winning, innovative backpack products are distributed worldwide and are sold at major retail outlets, through mail-order catalogs and Web sites, and through distribution. The privately held company is headquartered in DeKalb, Ill."

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  13. cateater

cateater Member

Model number - 224010
    Serial number - 25202067