Problems With My Verbatim Drive

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Stein, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Stein

Stein Guest

A few weeks ago, I purchased the DVD+Producer DVD+RW/R drive from Sam's Club, and installed it in my old computer. It was pretty much plug and play, so I thought nothing of it when I moved it into my new computer.

After coastering a few DVD+Rs since I didn't have an ASPI layer, and SPTI didn't working right, I finally got everything to work properly on the included Verbatim DVD+RW that came with the set. However, the drive doesn't seem to like Maxell DVD+Rs at all, as everytime I try to burn with them, even in test mode the DVD becomes unusable. I'm trying to use DVD Decrypter to burn them, and it always fails at the "Writing LeadIn" for DVD+Rs, but works perfectly on the +RW.

Windows has the drive listed as "DVD+RW RW5125 SCSI CdRom Device" under Device Manager, even though the device is plugged into the Secondary IDE channel as Master (this is the nForce2 Chaintech 7NJS motherboard). I'd assume it's one of the Ricoh 5125A drives, that I've seen mentioned here.

Does the 5125A not work well with Maxell media? I've got a package of Memorex DVD+Rs as well, but I don't want to open that, find out it doesn't work, and then get put out by my local Best Buy's return policy.

Anyone have any ideas whether the problem is Windows, media, or driver related? And can I use the 5125A firmware upgrades from the Japanese site on my burner?

Thank you for any and all help.

2. thejahn

thejahn Member

I also bought the same verbatim drive at staples (Price matched Sams club) then went to sams and bought a 10 pack of DVD+RW. I have had problems with 5 of those ten pack. The pack consists of the exact disc that came with the drive. Now I am having problems rewritting to the discs. I have used the latest Roxio and Nero software products. I am going to begin looking for warrantee information and attempt getting refunds for these dvds. I noticed if I rubbed the DVD with my shirt and placed it back in the drive several times, the drive finally woke up and accepted it, however this seems like a pretty bad practice.