pulling my hair out of the petrol chainsaw

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by diddyd, Jun 18, 2008.

1. diddyd

diddyd Member

hi i know this is not the right site as it is all about electrical items, but does anyone know anything about petrol chainsaws, is there another site like this so i can get some help.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the problem?

3. diddyd

diddyd Member

when i first start it it runs on idol ok, but when i start to cut it cut out then it takes a time before i can start it again. i have checked the spark plug it sparks ok and is clean,air filter is clean,fuel filter is clean,has plenty of fuel and oil,chain is free not binding

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Vapor lock or carburetor set too lean ?

5. diddyd

diddyd Member

ok how do i reset it or is this going to hurt my wallet for an over prised machanic to do a 2 second job for me

6. kopex

kopex Member

try turning the mixture scre a little on the carb.try alittle one way if no joy try truning it the other way

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Like brother kopex said, a litle. Then a little more to see if it gets better. Back off it it gets worse.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

what kind of saw we talking about here?did this just start or has this been an ongoing problem?there will probably be two screws:eek:ne for low speed and another for high speed.if you are not familiar with setting up the carb on one of these then i highly recommend a good small engine tech.

9. diddyd

diddyd Member

its a talon 35cc 14"blade

10. aldan

aldan Active member

if this just started i would first check the obvious.make sure air filter is clean an if the plug has been in there a while i would change it.when you pull the plug pay attention to the condition of the electrode tip.it should be brown.if it is black and sticky check your fuel mix.could be too much oil in it.if all this is good start with the low speed screw and get a good idle.turn it in until the saw starts to die then out just enough to get a good idle.when setting the high speed screw you should have a log to cut.on full throttle cut turn the high speed screw in until it bogs,then out until max rpm is acheived.cheers.