Qucik capturing question: DV camcorder vs anologue

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Skax, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Skax

Skax Member

Hi

I have done quite a bit of capturing video via an analog source before and coverted it to dvd with good results. I now have a digital video camera and have a heap of tapes I want to convert to DVD as well. My question is, is it the same process as doing it as the analog source capture?

What I would do previously (it's been a long time but I think this is what I did) was capture the vid as a AVI file, use TMPGenc to convert it to the DVD format files (mpeg and a wav file?) and the TPMGenc author to make it sexy. With a digitial camera do I still need to convert it a AVI file or can I capture it direct as DVD files using some proggie and get good quality from it?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I've searched the forums and other sites but nothing I've found answers this question directly.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  2. jbanghart

jbanghart Member

Yes, it is the same in that you will capture to an AVI file. The biggest difference is the connection. You connected your analog source via a component or S-VHS adaptor (i would assume). You will now need a firewire/1394 connection on your PC. If you don't have one you can find a PCI card for under $20 if you look around. Then everthing would be the same, you can probably use the same program you used for your analog capture, just make sure you point at the new 1394 input.

3. Skax

Skax Member

Yes I used a fireware card for the analog capture. It has the V input, a S input, a DV1 and DV2 input. Is there a difference in the quality as to what input is used? I think I read a DV input was better than a S input.

4. Skax

Skax Member

*bump*

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You apparently have a combined analog capture / Firewire card. Don't use the analog inputs for transfer from a DV camcorder. Use the real Firewire connection. I guess on your card they are indicated with DV1 and DV2.
    The advantage of Firewire transfer is that it is a full digital transfer, so there is no loss of quality whatsoever.