Question about DSL and Phone line.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Xenokai, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

I got DSL installed about 2 years ago and when the Tech installed it outside he used a line/jack i installed myself that i was using on dial up before. Anyways the thing is the wires i used to install this jack are not Cooper phone line wires and you can see some black built up on the cable so i was wondering can this be causing problems? I ran the cable behind the houses plastic covers (donno the name) and its really hidden and is not underground.

When it rains or storms you can really tell my connection is messed with sometimes requiring a reboot of the modem. Should i buy new wiring if so what kind?

I was thinking of These...
    Phone wire: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200292207252&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Phone Jack: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250387708973&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Wiring for phones that are open to the environment, whether it's air or water would more than likely need to be waterproofed & perhaps have foil shielding,the coil of wiring you have in your link looks like indoor not outdoor it would be best to talk direct with a technician to get your answers unless a web search can turn up trumps,the black stuff you speak of is electrolysis (corrosion for lack of a better explanation),& yep it can be a problem if it's where the two wires join or at the join itself in the jack.

DSL isn't installed all that's done is changes at the exchange are made so your phone line can now carry dsl,the reason you can talk on the phone while online is both signals are of differing frequencies,kinda like radio stations

It in all likely hood would be best to get a techie out to check the lines,he/she can pinpoint where the problem is pretty quickly as even the exchange can cause issues like you describe,so it may not even be at your end where the problem is,tho not using cooper what on earth type of wire is it,unless it's tinned wire

3. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

Hmm i already purchased the wires. Our DSL is wired outside and has its own seprate box since they guy said its much better then having filter in the house. Main reason im swicthing wire is when running this line like 4 years ago i used some in door buisness type wireing that is not copper at all but it was all i had at the time. I kinda figured this wasnt outside wireing but im hoping its atleast better then what im using.

Is copper better then like say a phone wire that kinda looks like a speaker wire. I noticed the copper wires are just 1 single hard wire. Any advantages over non copper wires im using now?

Also on the jack and the wires hooked to it said Not for PHONE use or something like that. I just wired it to work as a phone.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Simple answer copper has the best conductivity,as for braid or single they use single wire for a reason not sure what that reason is apart from how the connections work at the jack points,i spose braid style (speaker) wiring would corrode quicker & break as humidity & air is more easily able to pass thru the multiple wires than say a single wire so to speak

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  5. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

hmm well i hope it clears up my line a little. my connection has alot of fluctuation and i always thought it might be the wires not being copper is what may cause it.

6. harpz79

harpz79 Member

Hi,
    i would recommend using cat5e cable mine is run ouside and i have never had any problems whatever the weather,and yes the weather would make a differnce as the cable you are useing will become brittle and eventually snap hope this helps.

7. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

hmm ive already prucahsed the cable =/ Hopefully its better then what im using now.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

lol.. He has no prob with the network cable it's the actual phone line wires we're discussing however moisture due to humidity is an issue with all wiring & one needs to be careful to get the correct type as not all cables even tho they are the same are not created equal including ethernet cables,wiring is usually run through conduit when outside

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

except for telephone.

Xenokai, get the round solid wires telephone cable not stranded wires. make certain the scews are tight onto the correct colored wires. hook the bare ends of the wires around the screws before tightening.

10. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

yo whats up ddp long time not see XD thanks for the info. What i ordered above is Solid copper wire. I talked to someone who bought the same wire fromt he same guy to hook up his dsl line and he has not issues with it.

For the past 4 years ive been using a stranded cable that runs to the box outside and then into my rooms DSL phone jack. When it rains my connection just dies basicly im hopign this Solid copper wireing is the right cable for this and hopefully it fixes my issue.

11. ddp

i think you are getting moisture in the stranded wires which is causing the problem that you shouldn't get with solid wires.

12. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

good to hear ill report back one i get it all set up. I also got the new phone jack (shown in OP) since im installing new wire mis well get a new jack. The wire im currently using while it has shielding on it the outside of the cable is moldy and has black mold all over it.

13. ddp

if it has black mold on it then be careful as it likes lungs.

14. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

>.< yesterday i handle alot of the same wire that had black mold on it i was using it as some speaker wire >.< I just trew the wire out hope i dont get sick =/

15. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

16. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

I got the jack and the wireing installed. Thing is the copper wire are pretty thin i was exsecting hard to bend wiring. But it seems be working. When i was testing my ping on the new line at first it was high so i hooked the other old wire/jack up outside and tested ping and it was lower. So i thought maybe the test server has slowed and when i hooked the new one back up it got pretty much the same ping. I couldnt really tell i kinda thought the old line wireing was giving better ping. Is this possible? The speedtest.net seem to give me mixed ping speeds tho. My down/upload seemed the same on bothn wireing.

What do you think? i left the old wire/jack hooked up next to the new jack so ill have easy access if i noticed something wrong with my gaming. What do you all think?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Although bodging works it's always preferable to use the correct equipment no matter what the job as there are other factors involved i.e longevity,safety etc

18. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

Hmm My ping is randomly all over the place on speedtest.net sometime its steady at 82-85 but then sometimes shows like 100+. I did notice my upload is better with the new solid copper wire is that normal for braided vs solid?

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Normal ? noth'n normal about using speaker wire for telephone cabling,as for speed tests you'd need to use your isp's to get a better idea think along the lines of motorway at different times of the day, sometimes it'll be free flowing others it'll be traffic jam & slow as a dog