Questions about the playback quality of XviD / DivX movies on DVD players.

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by TacoROCK, Jan 31, 2008.

1. TacoROCK

TacoROCK Member

I want to put XviD / DivX movies on DVDs and watch them on a XviD / DivX cerified dvd player. However, i noticed normal DVDs have a resolution of 720x480(NTSC) or 720x576(PAL). Would this mean the native resolution on a TV is 720x480(NTSC) or 720x576(PAL), meaning that playing, for example, a 640x480 resolution movie played on a 720x576(PAL) TV would have lower quality than a 720x576 movie played on the same TV? And even lower quality playback from a 32x240 movie? I thought TVs had no native resolution and could playback a movie with the same quality it started out with as long as the aspect ratio is the same or you add a letterbox.

I'm asking so I can know which movies to download. If playback quality is worst for lower then native resolution I will try to get as close as possible to 720x576 sence my TV is PAL. If the playback quality remains unchanged from the origonal I guess i could download whatever.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

what kind of TV do you have? CRTs don't have native resolutions but LCD & plasma ones do. I have a decent CRT TV and I watch Divx movies with resolutions like 640 x 352 and they look just fine.

Anyway, your eyes will tell you better than we can.

3. TacoROCK

TacoROCK Member

Hey, thanks for the reply. I don't have a plasma or LDC and i'm not sure if it's a CRT but sence theres only 3 options I suppose it's ruled down to being a CRT. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...spect+Ratio+4:3+Silver+CRT+TV+With+ATSC+Tuner
    Looks pretty close to that one, i'm fairly sure it's a CRT.

I ask because I don't have the dvd player yet. I plan on getting it soon and want to start downloading now, so i'll have things to watch on it ;). Assuming "CRTs don't have native resolutions" means the quality remains the same as the origonal as long as the aspect ratio is maintained I suppose i'm free to download any 4:3 movies, or other aspect ratios with letterboxes.

Thanks for the information, if theres another type of TV besides plasma, LCD and CRT I would like to know about them. If anyone can list them, so I can look them up, I would appreciate it, thanks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Sorry double post

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

6. TacoROCK

TacoROCK Member

Thanks alot for the information, good stuff to know for my movies ;).