Ready to get a new camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by boutcrazy, Jun 28, 2006.

1. boutcrazy

boutcrazy Member

Hey friends....

Several months ago, I entered into the world of Nero, slideshows from my digital camera, and was quite amazed at what could be done. Only problem I had was, the audio on the DVDs I made was very low - had to massively turn up the volume on the TV to hear it - never figured it out - sounded good on the PC without jacking up the volume.

At any rate, I'd now like to get a camcorder with which to take movies of family gatherings, then put them on DVD so I could make copies for all.

I've done some searching on here, and from what I read:

- I should get a DV, not a DVD camcorder, because editing is a pain with the DVD corder.

- The DV actually records to tape and not a disc.

- The Hi8 camcorder I currently have could work with a capture card, but the capture card is more expensive than firewire, and my results would not be as good as with a new DV and firewire.

- I will need to put a firewire card in my P3 933mhz PC (I know - it was slow as molasses making the slideshows, but it did get the job done)

- Nero 6 or 7 will do the editing job (already have both versions), and used 6 for my slideshows.

Sony seems to be a popular brand on here, so I will look at those.

Is there absolutely ANYTHING else I need to know or consider before making a purchase?

Any and all advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Looks like you have educated yourself already quite decently.
    To make a choice which camcorder to buy: ask yourself in what price range you want to buy, select a couple of models and read the reviews on http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

Nero is OK for your first video editing experience, but you will probably find out that you want a bit more sophisticated software. Check out programs like Adobe Premiere Elements and Pinnacle Studio.