Really STUPID question

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by LogJammer, Feb 17, 2006.

1. LogJammer

LogJammer Regular member

OK, I have a new Samsung 30" Slimfit flatscreen HDTV, which is pretty nice. I am a little disappointed with the picture quality of watching DVD's...and I am assuming its the DVD player. I do have component cables running. The DVD is a cheapass Toshiba with progressive scan.

So here's where the stupidity comes in...will I see a drastic improvement if I upgrade to a better (aka more expensive) dvd player??? If so, please recommend some brands or models.

Also, would it benefit me to have a Samsung DVD player since my HDTV is a Samsung?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

1) Is the component video output initiallized and hooked up properly?

2) What kind of component cables do you have? You may need to upgrade them.

If you component cables are good and your not using the tv to with HD cable or HD satellight then I would suggest getting the Toshiba Upconversion DVD player. Its $100. Use the HDMI connection. I rcommend buying at least a cheap HDMI cable from the store even though one is provided with the player!

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2006
  3. LogJammer

LogJammer Regular member

To answer your questions:

1) I would assume its hooked up properly. The color-coding makes it somewhat idiot-proof. Also, everything works when it is connected, and goes out as soon as I disconnect. Not sure I know anything about "initializing" the component output. Is there somehting more that I am supposed to be doing?

2) I have Monster component cables that I got on eBay for like $25 or so.

Some of the things I am noticing:

During into scenes, white (or light) titles that appear on a black screen seem to give off a glow that stretches the width of the screen.

During scenes with lower lighting, the picture loses its crispness. I am almost seeing some kind of moire effect, or dottiness. I noticed this a lot in movies like Snatch, Band of Brothers, Pulp Fiction, and a few others.

With standard light, the picture is absolutely amazing. Also, watching hockey or basketball on HDTV is great too...I would say it looks BETTER than my DVD's look.

Do I actually have to set my DVD player to 480, 720p (or whatever), or is that setting only on my TV??

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Not if your getting a picture. All the cheap toshiba DVD player I sell require the user to manually turn the component Video port on via the main menu.

As long as the component video port is on, the dvd player is set to output a 16:9 signal, and everything is connected correctly (sometimes people get confused by the two red port when they are close together) then Its either the DVD player of the set.

If your DVD player isn't an upconversion DVD player then the only options you should have are 480i and 480p (if it is a progressive scan DVD player). Only upconversion DVD players scale video to 720p and 1080i and they only upconvert through digital outputs (DVI or HDMI).

Since you TV is a HD CRT set it will accommadate any resolution.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2006
  5. LogJammer

LogJammer Regular member

6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

[ LogJammer ]

TV as transmitted today is with 525 lines, This equates to aprox 480.
    Much is said about 720 or 1080 and up conversion. Progressive scan is a means to overcome a possible flicker in large sets 60' or more, and has nothing to offer in a 36" as to picture quality. I think that while 1080 is needed fot the large sets it is overkill with the 26" to 48" sets. At this point I see it as a sales pitch and hype. There are different opinions as to quality, Don't assume that your disappiontment is caused by the DVD

Check this and other sites and threads.

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1995

PS; I think you will find that Samsung makes The vast majority of LCD screens used in many sets.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006