Recommendation for recording live gigs

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by kylera, Jun 18, 2009.

1. kylera

kylera Member

Hi, I'm in a band and we have gigs once every two weeks or so. I've been using my Sanyo Xacti (the waterproof model) and came to realize that it wasn't exactly the best thing to use to record, so I'm in the market for a new one.

I'm aiming for a prosumer/midrange model and willing to pay up to US$1,000 for a new one (or used, depending on conditions). I prefer more or less anything for recording media, as long as I can have a version that is as lossless as possible at that price range, though I prefer either a HDD or flash model if possible (my Xacti only does MP4, and splicing MP4s wasn't good for quality). Image stabilization isn't a great necessity as I'll be using tripods as how I've always done. And not least, it should perform well in the dark.

The stuff I mentioned just now are the big priorities. Optical zoom is also a nice plus and battery life as well, but I can always shell out for extra batteries.

Thanks in advance.

2. tupac_2nd

tupac_2nd Member

Hi have you bought one yet? I am looking for a camera recording my live gigs as well. So I'm pretty much in the same boat as you :D

I've found these and listed them in order of preference;

1. JVC Everio GZ MG630 Hybrid Digital Camcorder - 60GB Hard Drive and MicroSD - Reallly leaning for this one - $AUD380

2. JVC Everio GZ MG830 Hybrid Camcorder - 60GB Hard and MicroSD - A bit more expensive then choice no. 1. - $AUD560

3. Sony Handycam HDR-XR100 Hybrid 80GB Hard Drive and optional Memory Stick - a tad bit expensive - $AUD800

4. Sanyo Xacti VPC TH1 - SD Card - Very cheap! $AUD270

Cheers