Regional Codes

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by CloneDron, Mar 20, 2003.

1. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Hi to everyone,
    First I'm new here, I just bought my first DVD burner. I have a couple of questions about the "Regional Codes."
    What is and what is the purpose for these codes? Why are you given 5 chances to change the codes?
    As I have stated I'm new here and this is only my second time on this board. I have tried to do a search for this topic but, couldn't come up with anything. Since I found this board last night I have read quiet abit and have found it very informative. Any info on this matter would be much appreciative.
    Thanks

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yes, all drives manufactured after Jan, 2000 or so, are so-called RPC-2 drives that only allow you to change the region code five times and it is locked after that, permanently.

Region codes mean that movie industry wants to control what you can and can't see and when you can see it. In U.S., movies are often released on DVD when they're only slowly crawling to the movie theatres in some places of the world -- thus, region codes.

If the disc is region 1 (USA/Canada), it can't be used in Region 2 (Europe, Japan) locked drive or DVD player. And vice versa.

3. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Thanks for the reply dRD!
    So, I'm to assume that I shouldn't worry about it and even if I did, there's nothing I can do. I take it that every dvd that comes to the American market has a region code of 1 then. I haven't done anything with my DVD burner yet since I wanted to clearify this point. Though I have quiet a collection of DVD's that I have purchased, I truly wanted the burner so that I may transfer precious times I have on VHS of my mother who pasted away two months ago at the young age of 64.
    Again dRD, thanks for the reply.
    Take care,
    Jim