Remote Desktop Question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by SpeedyW, Sep 13, 2007.

1. SpeedyW

SpeedyW Member

I'm off to college next week and wanted to use remote desktop to eliminate a monitor from my desktop in my dorm room (after initial setup). The plan is to use my laptop to control it which I have successfully done on a home network, however I wanted a different setup at college.

I need to plug a router into my room to give me wireless internet. I want to have remote desktop access to my desktop from on and off campus locations.

Does anyone know where I can find a step by step guide on how to connect to a home network (or the equivilent 192.168.0.xxx) through the university network from a location where the network will not be direcly connectable (ex. another city)?

I am very technologicly inclined and have verified that the two computers connect to each other on the same network. It is the connectivity through a WAN that I'm not sure about. I believe it would require port forwarding but I am unsure on the specifics.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Michael

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Setting it up at college will be exactly like setting up in your home network with a few minor changes:

1) You have to find you Network Supervisor and ask him or her to unblock the ports and protocole you will be using for your remote desktop / VNC. For VNC, which I personally preffer over Remote Desktop, I know the port is defaulted at 5900.

2) You will need to use a Dynamicly Updating DNS as opposed to a network address (this is the difference between Vicious.No-Ip.Info as opposed to 192.168.254.1). To do this you will need to create and account and download the tool at http://www.no-ip.com, from there, you can create your Dynamic DNS. If you're unable to work it for any reason, I have a No-IP tutorial posted here at afterdawn under a thread called "How to make your own runescape server" (or something like that. You can google search Vicious88 and runescape, and there should only be two threads in which I discuss it).

3. SpeedyW

SpeedyW Member

Thanks Vicious88,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I will let you know if I have any problems when I get there :)

Michael

4. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Good to know I can help ^^