S-video Black and White.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Ace_7, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

I am getting a black and white picture on my TV when I am connecting it to my laptop through S-video. I used to get a colored picture using the same TV, wire, and laptop, however one day I just got this black and white picture. I have been searching for quite awhile but to no avail, please help me fix this. Thanks in advance.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Did you try changing the cable? You are missing the color signal. It's can't be fixed until you find out where the signal has gone missing.

3. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

Yes, I tried changing the cable, and the tv, its the same thing. Could it be the signal type, mine is set on M/NTSC, however, I don't know how to change it to PAL.

4. dailun

dailun Active member

I used to get a colored picture using the same TV, wire, and laptop, however one day I just got this black and white picture.

It could be that your laptop video output has died or the setting has changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

". . .This means that the color has to be encoded in some way, and as such, NTSC, PAL, and SECAM signals are all decidedly different through S-Video."

I take this to mean that the output signal type must match the TV type. Could just be that the laptop setting has changed.

5. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

Dalium the signal type could infact be it as I said but I dont know how to change it from NTSC to PAL. Can you help me?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in your bios by reading the user manual of the laptop.

7. Rob14

Rob14 Member

my suggestion as far as changing the signal is make sure you have your videocard drivers up to date. i have the same issue how ever mine are up to date and i have tried multiple signal outputs. because my videocard gives me settings for different countries. i have also read that it could do to the four pin svideo verses the 7 pin s video. anyone have any input on that issue?

8. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Most 7-pin s-video plugs are just s-video with some extra stuff on the middle pins (usualy either composite, component, or sometimes both).