Samsung hd850 capabilities

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by alison70, Apr 19, 2006.

1. alison70

alison70 Member

Hi , newbie here.
    I have burned a xvid file with 5.1 (Ac3) and tried to play it on a samsung hd850 dvd player. However it is coming up with NO CODEC.
    When I do this with 2ch xvid/divx files it plays ok. Can anyone please tell me if I am doing something wrong, or can the player not player 5.1 from adivx/xvid file. I have read the article about changing the fourcc, but as I said before the player usually handles xvid quite easily. Can anyone please help.

PS I ran the file through AVICODEC and the sound came up as AC3 DVM
    if that is of use.
    Thanks

Alison

2. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

What country do you live in? the 850 I had briefly would not play xvid/divx at all, seems Samsung took that capability out of players for the US market.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

just saw this thread and thought i'd chuck my five pence in...

i'm in UK and my HD-850 plays most files i've got (some discs i have are compilations and i've long since forgotten all the various formats of files/codecs on the discs) but for a laugh one day i tried playing a disc and to my surprise it worked. (the manual says it doesn't play divx or something but i thought i'd test it). can't remember exactly until i check the manual though

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  4. alison70

alison70 Member

Hi I live in the uk.

5. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I don't know about the Samsung but my LG player does xvid/divx with ac3 5.1 audio very well. Maybe the Samsung won't play it?