semi-noobe needs help w/ roms

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by zebra3, Nov 27, 2006.

1. zebra3

zebra3 Member

Ok heres my setup, I modded my xbox about a year ago and unfortuatly remember little about it. I have a xenium chip and used the slayers (2.6) auto-install disk and have the evo x dash. I think I have avalaunch too, but dont ever use it.

So now im interested in playing roms on my xbox. I have the emulators that came w/slayers. Where do I put the roms? Where do I put any additional emulators that I want to use.

Heres the hard part - I dont have FTP access to my xbox. I do have the usb port that came with my chip (I used a jump drive to install my bios) and I have a DVD/CD burner. Can I still accomplish what I want to do without FTP? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

Why can't you FTP? do you not have a computer?

3. zebra3

zebra3 Member

I havent needed to FTP up until this point, and I would rather not have to spend time to set it up. Any help would be appreaciated.

4. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

the 2 min it takes to setup your FTP is allot less then the time it'll take to manually do it. you hook up a cable, launch an FTP program, enter the box's IP address (192.168.1.100 default on the Xenium) as the URL, type in the user name and password (set in the network configuration of the chip) and hit CONNECT. create a folder called of all things ROMS (you may already have one) on your F drive and store them there then direct your emulator to that folder.

if you're still scared of FTP then you can use any file manager you have (DVD2XBOX has a pretty good one in it) and you can move the ROMS from the pen drive or from the DVD drive to the folder of your choice.

kc

5. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

There are many complete emms/romz sets for the xbox all over the torrent sites that come as an .iso. You can either play them from disk or copy them to your hd in your games folder via dvd2xbox.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

ok, setting up FTP is going to be needed anyway so why not olearn now. You will need it to update your application and dashboards anyway.

But if you want a simple way you will need to do some searching.
    1. you can get Slayer 2.7 and that has a ton of roms and emulators as well as other great application on it.
    2. you can search for discs called BAED (there are 3 i know of)
    it stands for Big A$$ Emulator Disc. This is as ISO file with a ton of roms and emulators. You burn it to DVD and play them from the DVD.

But even if you choose not to use FTP i would learn how to set it up.
    You WILL need it at some point. And on a side note FTP doesn't work great for ROMs unless you use a dashboard like UnleashX which has an auto rename feature. ROM names tend to be very long and there is a limit on the Xbox to how big the name can be. Some ROMS will exceed that and fail to FTP without renaming it.

7. zebra3

zebra3 Member

Thanks for your guy's help. I'll play around with it, see if I can get something to work.