sharp VL-WD450U video to computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by elite37, Dec 11, 2005.

1. elite37

elite37 Member

Me and a couple friends made some videos of us blowing random sutff up and I want to put it on the computer to edit it. I have an editing program and could probably figure it out, but I dont know how to get the original video on the computer. The camcorder came with a wire that goes into the serial plug of the computer. I did what my manual said and plugged it in and reset the computer. But nothing happened. If anyone could kind of explain to me how to copy it to the computer, I would appreciate it.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

A wire that goes into the serial port???
    Th cam has a DV-port which you have to connect to a Firewire port on your PC. If you do and turn on the cam, it will automatically be recognized and you can use any capture program to transfer the video. Look here: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/transfer.php

3. elite37

elite37 Member

My camera didnt come with a firewire cable. And im not exactly sure if my computer has the port. I was talking to a friend that knows a little about cameras and he was talking about some kind of ieee port. my computers are both pretty knew so should they both have a firewire port. and what kind of firewire cable do i need to buy?

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yeah, Firewire cables are not included when you buy a camcorder. When your friedn talked about IEEE he probably mentione IEEE1394 which is the standard also known as ... Firewire :)
    Most new PC's these days have Firewire on board. Check in the Device Manager if you see a IEEE1394 Bus Host Controller. If you don't have it you can buy a card for less than $20.
    There are two types of Firewire connectors: 4-pin and 6-pin. Mostly on the PC side you need a 6-pin, on the cam side 4-pin, so you would need a cable with 4-pin on one side and 6-pin on the other side.

5. elite37

elite37 Member

ok well im gonna go try to buy one. Do you think walmart will have one? Thanks for the help.

6. elite37

elite37 Member

ok i found one im gonna play around and connect it thanks once again for the help