simply the best divx/xvid dvd player on the market now?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by mdm22, Dec 21, 2005.

1. mdm22

mdm22 Guest

could someone just tell me the best and most reliable as i intend to buy one online shortly.

thanks for the help.

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

all depends on your budget and what you want it to do for you.
    some people are happy with a 30$ player, others want more functions and options and like a 150$ + player.

3. kress

kress Member

Depends on the budget.

[bold]Low[/bold] budget I'd say the Philips DVP642 (DVP630 in Europe) is the overall best out there. Even though it's a dated player, it still provides superior picture quality to most players of its price range. It can play MP3s, JPEG files, has progressive scan and is of course multizone. It has a few weaknesses like cheap design, crappy remote and very few video functions and features. Overall though, it is a great player for its price range and a very solid one as well.

[bold]Medium[/bold] budget I'd say either the Pioneer DV-575 (with unofficial firmware) or the more recent Pioneer DV-585AS. The DV-585 comes with SACD capability, internal DTS decoder, and of course progressive scan and a whole slew of other features. The picture quality is simply top-notch. As price per pound and quality goes the DV-575 with unofficial firmware is perhaps the best DivX player out there right now.

For [bold]High to Really High[/bold] budget I'd probably go with the Sony DVPNS955V or the Kiss DP-1504 which comes with a 40GB HD. It's probably best to stick with the Pioneer ones mentioned above though.

There are other DivX/XviD players out there with more features and more functionality, but if you're interested in pure quality grade material and if you want stuff and not fluff these are your best bets.