slow comp

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mscrosity, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

hi...my comp has been extremely slow. i've cleaned...run antivirus program etc etc the only thing i come up with is when i run avg it says i have 7 tracking cookies and one trace. the trace is mozilla..i deleted mozilla a while back. deleted it from add/remove programs. i cannot find any traces of it myself but that is what these tracking cokies are attaching to. could this be reason for slow comp and either way how do i find mozilla items to remove them completely?? any other suggestions for slow comp appreciated. thank you very diff time getting into any of my email accounts. sites very slow or can't ett in.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

are you talking slow online? surfing the net? or just slow opening up programs? how much ram do you have, when was the last time you did a disk clean up, or done a defrag? is your hard drive geting filled up?

3. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

it says i have 448mb of ram . i did a disk clean up and it says i don't need to defrag at this time.pulling up programs is fine. but still have the problem of tracking cookies etc attaching to this mozilla file. like i said i deleted mozilla from add/remove programs months ago.

4. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

ok i just found a mozilla file. been doing some searching. it won't allow me to remove the whole thing. what parts should i remove?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

download & install ccleaner from this link http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ on right side of screen. goto the registry tab on leftside of the screen & click on "scan for issues" at bottom of screen. click on "fix selected issues" on bottom right of screen & don't click on "do a backup of the registry". click on "fix all selected issues" & press ok. repeat that process til no more issues found.

6. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

ok. i've done that. should that do it or is there something else i should do?

7. ddp

what does avg pickup?

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

448MB ain't exactly a lot if your running xp what's the specs for your comp in other words size of hdd & speed, does it have enough free space,if you get close to capacity the comp will play games,next question what cpu you got & it's speed.

The other issue that comes to mind is just what exactly is running in the background,since that could take a couple of days to sort out the fastest solution if your comp has slowed so much to when you first bought it & judging by this thread it has slowed considerably,i'd start by setting your page file to none,check to make sure your hybernation file is not enabled then boot to safe mode then defrag it,simple reason is you can't defrag running programs & you certainly can't do a proper defrag if your pagefile is in use as it won't defrag period,ok this could take a while go play a video game,:p,once it's finished reset pagefile to one size so that the min & max are the same size,reboot,if you find there is no diff & there are no malware or viruses,i'm sorry but you have only one recourse & your not going to like it,start with a clean slate & do a reinstall of windows as it's obvious you have'nt done one in a while,this time however install only the programs you use the most first,then head over to windows update & get all the updates except SP3,& don't leave till your comps fully updated ,again refrain from installing SP3

When reinstalling programs you need to choose wisely,don't load bulky programs as an example: like avast antivirus,it's a great program but even on mine it scans everything from the moment the comp boots to any program i load which slows things down,AVG 8.0 is pretty good & it's got spyware scanner,a great firewall that's also free is comodo,i've been playing with it for the last month & it performs well,previous to that i was just using the xp firewall & that's ok too just not as full featured,rule of thumb is if you've got a less than grunty comp choose fast light programs,even to the point of using windows classic GUI if you only have an intergrated graphics card & not a PCI or VGA

9. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

wow LOL ok can i just play a game and all my problems will disappear :p that was a lot. i just got turned on ssssooo i'll run avg and see if there is anything. but already after running the ccleaner it is better. but i KNOW i have alot of stuff on here. if OTHER ppl would just leave my comp alone already..ha ha ok working on the stuff....let you know

10. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

i went to add remove programs first. wanting to check through list to see what i want to remove. was removing aim "you've got pictures" and trojan warning came up...sheesh

11. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

i removed some programs from add/remove but did NOT remove anything i didn't know what it was. just games. yahoo mess. things like that. some of my icons changed and i can't run the programs with the changed icons....hmmmmmmm to laugh or not to laugh.....

12. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

To Format C or not, that is the question. It is looking like it is time to do that.

13. ddp

scorp, 448meg is ok with xp when you consider he has onboard video which took 64meg out of his 512meg.

14. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

my comp is 512 ram sry. format c!!! i'd rather play a game...rrrrrr this is gonna take a while eh i'm a she not a he..unless that wasn't meant for me...

15. ddp

take a look in msconfig\startup from the run command line.

16. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

ok it's up..what am i looking for/

17. ddp

trying to see if there is any that is not supposed to be there. if you have a checkmark in a box but no despription then uncheck it. uncheck office, adobe, nero & dvd player if checked.

18. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

ok..already had most unchecked. just did a few more.

19. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

under computer management/disk management it says healthy

20. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

page file max says 1344 it's set at 672 still change or no?