Software for Capturing Video

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Dante016, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Dante016

Dante016 Member

I need a good software for capturing video and importing it into the pc. I need one that imports using different sizes such as 1028x768 or 640x480. Money is not an issue so if u find one thats extremely expensive pleast let me know As soon as possible.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

What is your source? Digital (miniDV or Digital8), analog, webcam?

3. Dante016

Dante016 Member

Digital 8 is my source

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

In that case the only thing you need to have is a Firewire connection. You can use any video editing program to transfer your video including MS Moviemaker inlcuded in XP. Ther are also a couple of freeware programs. On this page you will find some of them:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php

5. Dante016

Dante016 Member

Well thats great but can u tell me a good software that i can use to capture video to import it at different sizes. Like something thats really proffesional and remember money is not a problem.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  6. jorge5479

jorge5479 Member

Well depends a lot in what you are planing to do, if you are interested in making them dvd and addind some simple effects and having a friendly user interface (like for home movies) I'll recomend you Pinnacle Studio there are some versions the site is www.pinnaclesys.com

But if you are planing professional edition and extremely cool effects but not that friendly then you are looking for Adobe Premiere for video editind and adobe aftereffects for the effects or Pinnacle LiquidEdition Pro

7. jorge5479

jorge5479 Member

Well depends a lot in what you are planing to do, if you are interested in making them dvd and addind some simple effects and having a friendly user interface (like for home movies) I'll recomend you Pinnacle Studio there are some versions the site is www.pinnaclesys.com

But if you are planing professional edition and extremely cool effects but not that friendly then you are looking for Adobe Premiere for video editind and adobe aftereffects for the effects or Pinnacle LiquidEdition Pro the Adobe site is www.adobe.com

8. Dante016

Dante016 Member

Im planning on making them for proffesional editing but i need some software that can capture in different sizes.

9. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You should not "capture in different sizes" but use the following workflow:
    1. From Digital8, do a direct transfer using a Firewire connection. This an absolute loss-free transfer and you will end up with DV-AVI files. It absolutely does not matter which program you use as long a you tranfer to DV-AVI.
    2. Use these DV-AVI files for editing. If you want profeesional capabilities and money is not an issue I recommend Adobe Premiere Pro. It is absolutely one of the most advanced video editing programs.
    3. When finished editing, convert to the format that you want. You can save the edited movie from Premiere first to a DV-AVI and use other programs to convert to other formats, but Premiere can also export directly to various formats including AVI using any codec installed on your system, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and WMV.

By the way: the sizes that you mention are not supported by all formats and you might be confusing video framesize with PC screen resolutions. Be aware that those are completely different things. You can simply play any framesize full screen on a computer screen, whether it be 1028x768 0r 640x480 or whatever.