software issues

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by danny619, Mar 30, 2010.

1. danny619

danny619 Member

Hi gang I just rebooted and restarted my laptop as it was completeley infested with viruses, now im looking to install some programmes that i already had (I wiped the whole thing clean) including some to play movies; and more especially virus cleaners. I am not very computer literate and was wondering does anybody recommend any, ones that are safe and easy to download? Any help is appreciated as I am starting from scratch and dont want to make the same mistake as I did the last time. Thanks

Danny "Boogieman" K

2. aldan

aldan Active member

i use avira antivirus,superanti spyware,and for realtime protection,spyware blaster.as for a firewall,i just use the windows firewall.3.5 years with xp pro without a reinstall.

3. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

Personally i would use Avast home edition, its completly free and i have never had a problem.

any time i have decided to check my pc to be sure i use spybot search and destroy. again free and also never had a problem.

and i agree with aldan windows firewall does a good enough job.

Avast:

Spybot:

4. danny619

danny619 Member

thanks guys for the advice I used to use avg and will have a look at the software that you recommended, I want to have antivirus in place before I start installing software (DivX, etc etc).

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

danny, did you setup your avg to run at all, run everyday or left at default settings?

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

AVG is junk, it is no wonder he got infected with a bunch of viruses.

As for recomended software: VLC, Gimp, OpenOffice, Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, Adobe Acrobat Reader, PrimoPDF, Firefox, Thunderbird.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i have it with no problems & most of my customers have it too.

8. danny619

danny619 Member

I had AVG set to run at default settings, I made the biggest mistake by not scanning the files I was downloading with avg etc before I opened them, it was horrendously stupid on my part anyways not having backed up my files!!! This time around I will be more careful with the software I install (AVG set to run everyday), most of what has been recommended I have already got. Thanks again, its nice to know what other people (especially computer literate) have been using and recommend as before I was probably installing dodgy software to play movies etc, codec packages and so on