Software needed to make Avi-file into DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by postma, Dec 13, 2003.

1. postma

postma Member

I have a JVC Digital camera (Mini DV) and via for example Windows Movie Maker I can capture the move into avi-file format. How do I transfer the avi-file into a format so I can burn it to DVD?? What software I need and is there a free program that I can download from internet?
    When I play the captured movie (avi-file) and enlarge it to full screen size, the picture becomes somewhat blurry and not sharp, will this also be the case when it is trasnfered to DVD format? (I thought it would remain 100% sharp image).
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Any DVD authoring proggie will suffice :)
    Goto the main Afterdawn.com page and check out the software section :)

3. postma

postma Member

What do you mean with a "DVD authoring proggie"? Can you recommend me the name of the software what I should use for making Avi into DVD?

4. ReeL12

ReeL12 Guest

Actually you can burn your files to DVD same way as one burns to CD. But if you want to burn video-DVD to play in desktop DVD player you need to do video-DVD compatible disk.
    For more information check Afterdawn.com -> Guides -> 3. DVD-R
    There you can find required software and detailed guides how to operate them...

5. whassup

whassup Regular member

You need an encoder to change the format to MPG2. There are different specs for VCD/SVCD/XVCD/DVD. After encoding, you need to drop it into a DVD authoring program (I believe there's also a TMPGEnc DVD Author) and recode the files into the DVD structure.

TMPGEnc offers a free trial on their encoder and it's regarded as one of the best. Others are Cinemacraft Encoder, Canopus Procoder, etc.

6. princy1

princy1 Guest

The easiest software to use is Nero, although it doesn't always give the best results is will re-encode and burn in one step.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yes it is easy but it is also unreliable enough that it is unrecommended. Poor quality, seriously fukt up results (upside down, reverse color etc) -- that kinda stuff seems to happen just out of the blue with Nero's encoder.

8. malum

malum Regular member

If you want a simple option then DVD Architect will do it.

I use Video Vegas to edit and reencode and Architect to build a menu and the VOBs but Architect on it's own will re-encode and build the DVD structure regardless of whether you want a menu.

9. itguru

itguru Member

I use Roxio CD/DVD creator. It came with the DVD Burner. I have had good experience with this software, and the interface is very intuitive for a new b.

You can either use the AVI files directly from the DVD Builder, or you can convert them to MPEG-2 before adding them to your project. Mpeg-2 is the format (more or less) that actually goes on the DVD, and if you convert all of your AVI clips to Mpeg-2, they will encode to dvd 1000x faster, but will also take less space on your hard disk (about 1/5 as much).

I use windows movie maker to capture from the camera to DV-AVI, at 25mb/sec. I add titles and transitions, and save the result to AVI format. Then, I convert the AVIs to Mpeg2 using an mpeg encoder. (I use one from http://www.mainconcept.com/mpeg_encoder.shtml this is the only encoder that I have found is actually faster then real time, i.e. you can encode a 45 minute AVI file to MPEG2 in about 35 minutes.)

Then I can create any DVD I want (using any number of different mpeg2 clips) in just a matter of about 30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

10. jimmyjojo

jimmyjojo Member

Thanks! I've been having the exact same question as this thread starter. I am also using Windows Movie Maker to capture but was wondering if there were better programs out there for capturing?

Also, a GENERAL question about the whole MPEG/AVI relationship. When I capture a 15 minute movie in AVI, it's about 2.8 gigs. Then, using TMPGEnc, I convert it to Mpeg and it's down to about 800 mb w/ an obvious loss of quality. Ultimately I want to burn this onto a DVD and play on a stand alone DVD player, so it *must* be in Mpeg, right? But the quality is so much poorer that I wouldn't feel comfortable showing this to friends/family.

Basically, I'm asking is there ANY way to retain AVI quality when transferring to DVD video-mpeg? Or is that just an impossibility?

11. itguru

itguru Member

Make sure you are encoding them to MPEG-2, and not MPEG-1. DVD-R will hold 4.7 Gigs, and I recommend that you use every byte! You can use the encoder I mentioned, and it does a smashup job. The dvd's I make are really good quality (better than VHS), and they usually only have a very small bit of pixelation (i.e big squares in the picture, expecially during movement). The single most important factor in your dvd quality is the encoder software. Try switching to a different encoder, and max out all of the quality settings. I am sure you won't be disapointed.

If all else fails, break out your wallet and actually pay for the good software. I am personally opposed to paying for software, but I guess in a pinch, you do what you have to do.

Cheers,

paul

12. malum

malum Regular member

As stated use Mpeg2, on a TV this should be all but indistinguishable from AVI.
    Don't go over 9000 kbps though or you are outside DVD compliance and it may not work on a standalone player.

If you are watching on the computer you are going to get interlace combing unless you watch with something that gets rid of this on the fly (like Power DVD)

if you have interlace combing when you play it through the TV then you have set the wrong field order for the re encode.