SONY DCR-HC20 HANDYCAM

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by drommie, Feb 19, 2009.

1. drommie

drommie Member

I have tried everything humanly possible to upload video from my Sony Handycam (model as above) Purchased firewire cable and PCI card as my computer lacked firewire port.I cant for the love of money get the camera to connect with my computer.I dont have the CD-Rom for the camera any longer-but by all accounts this is not required.Any ideas as to why I cant connect-driving me crazy !

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You need to have the video camera in Play mode, for the computer to see it.

What program are you using to capture the video, from the camcorder?

3. drommie

drommie Member

Thanks tried this option-no luck-using Windows Movie Maker.I have an old computer-a Dell P3-but dont think thsi has anything to do with it.I'm at a real loss to figure out what's going on-

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Did the firewire card come with drivers? Did you install them? Does Device Manager recognize that the card is installed? Do you see anything, when you try to capture from Windows Movie Maker? Did you get a good firwire cable? Cheap ones aren't the best option.

Download WinDV, and see if your video camera is recognized. It is free.

http://windv.mourek.cz/

I am sorry to say, but if you are going to do any video editing, your P3 doesn't have the horses to do it.

5. drommie

drommie Member

Thanks response-the PCI card did not come with drivers and my computer doesnt recognise the card -why could this be ? I bought a decent firewire cable-at least for $20 you'd think it was decent.
    Also couldnt download WINDV-again not sure the reason-thansk for the advise though