Sony DCR-HC35E MiniDV camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Mogget, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Mogget

Mogget Member

I am currently using a Sony DCR-TRV230E Digital 8 camcorder with Steady Shot image stabilisation and 25x maximum optical zoom. This is good, but I want to improve both the picture quality and the stability of the image at higher optical zoom levels.

I have noticed that Sony are releasing a new range of MiniDV camcorders this month, and the one that I am interested in is called the DCR-HC35E. This uses Super Steady Shot image stabilisation, and has a 20x maximum optical zoom.

What I would like to know is this:-

1. Just how much better is Super Steady Shot than the standard Steady Shot ? I use my camcorder to film airliner action at airports (handheld), and I need to be able to zoom up quite close without the image jumping or jerking around.

2. How steady would the image be at 20x optical zoom ?

3. Is MiniDV higher quality than Digital 8 ?

Many thanks for any help that you can provide.

Christopher Low.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I don't know any specifics about the Super Steady Shot feature on that model, but here are my two cents.
    If steady shot is really important for you, look for a model that has optical steady shot rather than electronic (or digital) steady shot. Although the range of optical steady shot is limited compared to electronic, it gives a sharper image.

Digital image stabilization can also be reached later on during editing. An example of a product that you can use is SteadyMove ( http://www.2d3.com ), a plugin to Adobe Premiere. There are also stand-alone products like from Dynapel: SteadyHand (software, also available as plugin) and SteadyEye (hardware).

Your 3rd question: In principle MiniDV and D8 are equal in quality.

3. Mogget

Mogget Member

What do you mean by "optical" (as opposed to "digital") image stabilisation ? I never use the digital zoom part of my current TRV230E camcorder, since the image just gets too grainy.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

It has nothing to do with the zoom...
    Optical image stabilisation works with gyroscopes that sense camera movements and correct the lenses accordingly. Digital stabilisation works by comparing sudden changes in luminance in pixels between frames consecutive frames and corrects the image digitally.

5. Mogget

Mogget Member

So, are you saying that Sony's "Steady Shot" and "Super Steady Shot" are both examples of digital image stabilisation ? If so, which camcorders use the optical version ?

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

As I said, I don't know the model, so I don't know if it is digital or optical.
    Probably digital though, because Sony usually solves things in electronics rather than in optics. Canon is an example of a company that tends to solve things in optics. Some Panasonic models (a very good brand in camcorders by the way) also use optical stabilisation (check out the GS400 for example, it has what is called "Mega Optical Image Stabilizer").

Botomline is that you will have to check specific models to learn which one uses which system. Note that the optical systems is more expensiev so you will usually find them in more expensive models.

7. Mogget

Mogget Member

Thanks for the information. I will check out those other brands of camcorder.