Sony DCR HC42 LCD Problem

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by dcrfun, Oct 26, 2007.

1. dcrfun

dcrfun Guest

My HC42 LCD died today, well for the most part anyway. It will still display if you only popped out about 1/4 inch our turned around and laying flat against it. I did a bit of searching and have found this to be a HUGE issue with this camera. Found Sony apparently has a lawsuit about LCD from older models of their camcorders but this one is not included and they aren't being kind about this issue. I have had the cam for 2 years and it from most of the places I checked the fix might be the flex wire.

What I'd like to know before I go pulling the cam appart is how easy is it to change the flex wire and does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it. I will be calling sony after I get my ducks in a row as some ppl have stated the repair cost from them is outrageous. I am seriously bummed as my kids 2 year b-day party is 2marrow. :( (Cam still works through viewscreen)

2. preet123

preet123 Member

Hello there,

I have the exact same issue. My LCD screen is blank but I can still touch it and get some things to work like rewind etc. mine too is around 1 year 7 months. I think we all who have this issue should get together and file a suit or send a combined letter to sony to take a serious look at this issue since I have seen at least 25 others who have the same issue and the same reply from sony.

I agree its not the CCD problem that other cameras have since the camera records well, but this could be another faulty part issue and if we keep pestering them together then we can get them to fix it.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I'll be pretty ticked off, if that ever happens with my DCR-HC96 Sony.

4. dcrfun

dcrfun Guest

They allready have a suit pending settlement for camcorders up through the hc20 but do not include these for the same issue. I have not yet called them on but it seems that A LOT of ppl have this exact issue, sounds like another class action to me unless Sony pulls its head out, owns up, and compesates ppl like microsoft did with the 360s...

5. preet123

preet123 Member

hello dcrfun,

Do you have the same issue with your camcorder. Would you know how these class actions are filed?

Thank you.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I do believe that dcrfun is the person who started this thread.

7. preet123

preet123 Member

Oh sorry, did not notice that, thanks GrandpaBW for pointing that out. I have checked many other websites like fixya.com etc where people have the same issue. I have argued with sony a couple of time showing them these websites where this same issue is reported by tons of other hc42 owners but they say they just go by those models listed in the lawsuit.

Anyways that lawsuit is for faulty ccd in which even the video does not get recorded. In my case its only the lcd thats not working.

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I wanted that camcorder almost 3 years ago, but I didn't have the funding. I know it is a nice camcorder, and it is a shame that something happens with the LCD display to render it useless.

I was able to purchase the DCR-HC96 in January, and it has surpassed my expectations. For shootin, I only use the LCD display when shooting indoors. Outside, I don't, but I use the display quite a bit for changing settings and viewing some of the video, prior to capturing to my computer. Without the display, the camcorder is almost useless to me.

9. vipinjose

vipinjose Member

i do have the same problem..my camcorder's(HC 42E) LCD screen is not working...i contacted SONY service centre and they are chanrign 1000Rs as service charge.anybody found an alternate solution????????

10. dfnumber1

dfnumber1 Member

What, if any, positive action did you (or anyone else in this thread) get from Sony. I just had the same problem happen to me --- i.e., LCD screen went out after only 2 years of moderate camera use. I haven't begun the process of contacting Sony about a repair. Is it worth my time??

11. vipinjose

vipinjose Member

Hi,

You can contact the nearest sony service centre to get the flexy cable replaced..You have to pay the service charge + cable replacement cost.. I had to pay 1900 INR for the same..Its really bad that Sony is not even turining to this problem most HC 42 has