Sony for DVD +R's?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by mixwell, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mixwell

mixwell Guest

I've always used Sony DVD players for DVD's burned (+R's only) slowly at 1x-4x max, and have NEVER had a problem. Just switched to an upconverting DVD player and the Toshiba A3 kept stopping on DVDs that played fine on the regular Sony DVD player. Sure enough, I got a Sony upconverting one for $94 and whammo, no problems--plays all well. Anyone else know of this? BTW, the store clerk said, "Ah, +R's, yah, Sonys are the only DVD players that play those well," without any prodding from me. Any info on this, folks? I loved what the $149 Toshiba did to my DVDs on and HDTV, but the Sony at $94 is just as brilliant.

2. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Some players can be a little more picky when it comes to media format. Dash R's are more widely compatable off the line.

Personally, i booktype everything to a DVD-ROM and have NO issues with it playing in my more picky players.

3. mixwell

mixwell Guest

Cool--what is that? A different DVD itself, or is only the process different? I burn with Nero. And as I said, never a problem in a Sony DVD player, computers, etc.

4. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Dvd readers identify the media being used by checking the Book Type Field which is in the lead in section of the playable media. It's a compatability function. Common types readable are DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, and DVD+R, etc.

By manipulating the BookType you're fooling the device into thinking what you are feeding it is an original disc as opposed to a copy.

Only DVD+R format is capable of Book Typing media, and only certain burners are capable.

ImgBurn makes the process simple.

Here's some info on Book Type

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/booktype.cfm

And here's a basic guide that utilizes ImgBurn as the burning engine.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_set_booktype_for_blank_dvd_r_w__media_page_2.cfm