sony ruvi

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by paparatzo, Apr 18, 2004.

1. paparatzo

paparatzo Guest

i have this supposidly digital video camera called a sony ruvi i brought oversees a few years ago. Ive never been able to import the fotage from it digitaly to the PC, the only way ive been able to capture is analogue.

the camera has no firewire, no USB, but records the movie on a removable hard dirve--so im assuming it IS digital. they told me when i brought it that it was digital.

does anybody know anything about this camera? i have found nothing of help on the net so far

2. lbirchal

lbirchal Member

The Sony Ruvi does use digital cartridges, they are actually tape with the heads inside the cartridge, however you are correct in saying it only outputs in analogue. You will therefore not be able to output direct ot digital.

The analogue output is reasonably good. I currently use Power director to grab any recordings and then cut them to DVD.

although well received by the press the ruvi has long since been discontinued by Sony and parts and cartridges are about as common as four wheel drive scooters.

BTW if anyone has a Ruvi to sell I'm prepared to make a (sensible) offer.

3. paparatzo

paparatzo Guest

make the offer. I have a ruvi with two cartridges, charger and mains power converter. the battery door is broken but still works.