South Dakota Granny needs help

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bellebums, Mar 26, 2008.

1. bellebums

bellebums Member

My well meaning neighbor recently installed a new DVD player on my computer. It works fine but now when I turn on the computer it beeps twice and then I get: Erro Boot Sequence will be taken if no selection made

then I get this: Client MAC ADDR: 00 16 17 F8 07 FF GUID:
    07072821 2D03 7D71 4F77 001617F807FF DHCP....

and then it does something and this comes up: PXE No boot file name received

then it launches windows as normal.... what is all that stuff and how do I get rid of it. I don't want to tell the neighbor he messed up my computer but I don't know anything about them and need help...thanks guys...P

2. attar

attar Senior member

Have someone check the boot sequence in the PC bios.
    I think it's been reset to try and boot the PC from the DVD device first, instead of the hard drive.

3. bellebums

bellebums Member

Oh dear....I am computer illiterate...and evidently so are my friends....can you tell me how to do it, step by step?

4. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

okay bear with me this is going off of memory. Restart your computer and when you see the first screen when your computer tunrs on hit the ESC button several times. Sometimes only hitting it once will work, but whatever. you will get a screen that is black with a few options. If you look at the top of the screen it will say stuff like "F8 :boot options" and other stuff like that. Hit the corresponding button that says boot options. When you hit that button you will now go into another similair black screen that will give you a list. For example it cold be like,
    1.Cd Drive
    2. Floppy disk
    3. hard drive

so on and so forth. You want to make sure that across from "1." is Hard drive, "1. Hard drive". To do this use the arrow keys on your keyboard. Highlight Hard drive wit the arrow keys and hit enter than move it to the number 1 spot. If you cant highlight there should be direction on the screen.

5. attar

attar Senior member

I could tell you how to get into the BIOS, but yours and mine are almost certainly laid out differently.
    If you are certain that the behavior started when the drive was installed, mention it to the person who installed it and wait for them to offer to check it out - or ask them 'casually' to look at this odd thing you noticed.

6. bellebums

bellebums Member

Thank you all for your help...I will mention it and see what he says. I think he knows enough to install it but not much else...I need to adopt a 4th grader, that would probably solve all my problems....