Speed Up DSL

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by shivera, Dec 1, 2003.

1. shivera

shivera Guest

Hi,

I want to speed up my DSL, but what actually works? What is the difference in ADSL and DSL? I have BellSouth Fast Access DSL Lite. Please tell me some tweak or program that will speed my DSL up.

Thank You,
    Shivera

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

"DSL" typically refers to 'consumer level' DSL which caps out typically at 1.5Mbs (although in places, providers offer an enhanced service which caps you up to 3Mbs).

ADSL, typically refers to the "corprate level" service which starts at 4Mbs and goes to 8Mbs.

You are on 'consumer level' DSL -- if you were using 'corporate grade' you would know it. (i.e., $800/month kinda deal).

BellSouth Fast Access DSL Lite..... is that the 160Kbs service bell offers? Or the 1.5Mbs? In any rate, with DSL there isnt much you can reliably do.

3. shivera

shivera Guest

Well it says download is 256kbps and upload 128kbps. I need to make it faster!

4. Praetor

256kbs isnt THAT fast dude and you DO know that practical speed is 75% theoretical speed right?

5. FeniX-77

FeniX-77 Member

hmm...i had 256kbit dsl i got like 25-40 kbs...now i have 1mbit and i get from 130-300 kbs...

6. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

i have road runner cable it is much better on good days i get 2000-3000kb/s and 100-400,on bad about half

7. Praetor

Sounds about right.