Starting at the computer, I need one, what's best?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by insideout, Nov 14, 2003.

1. insideout

insideout Guest

I'm a newbie with big goals. I'm starting from getting a computer that would allow me to hear sounds, import video, import sound, editing software-final cut pro. I'd like to do Digital video and photography for weddings and parties. I'm pretty novice and don't want to buy the wrong thing. Each dollar counts, I want semi pro. Could I do it on a Dell? Or try to learn it on a Dell?
    I don't want to invest too much to start in case i can't figure it all out. Where do I start? Am I in the right place?

2. therock..

therock.. Guest

personally speaking i wouldnt touch a dell or anything like that now.i spent about 1000 euros on my tower and im now currently upgrading it i didnt realise how crap high street computers are go for a self build or go to a independent computer shop and tell them what you want and get them to build you one

hth

if you got any questions id happily answer them :)

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello
    Evey thing you mentioned there to me cries out New G5 Imac. I am a PC person, but for cheaper cost and more power Macs are the way to go. also the new OS 10.3 is really a Unix box and is amazing for software. But I as a PC person, I would say not too get Dell as it will not be cheap. At Dell you pay a lot to get the help service, but this is amazing help service. For a PC with what you want HP as recently created systems to do what you listed that are cheap and Sony is also making Box Computers to do what you want. I wouldn't build it you yourself, as that can be time consuming and finique. A one shot HP box that can be later upgraded would probally be best if you want to stay in the PC land. But honestly you can go to the Dark Mac side, get a G5 and use the new OS 10 or kick it off and install Red hat 9 with Gimp and other Free programs that are better than Adobe.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps from a performance perspective but certainly not from the cost perspective both initial and maintainence.

That it is... for the people that get it hehe... my roomie last term has dismal experience with them from a serice perspective. Just somethin to keep in mind.

Why note? It doesnt take that much time if you know what you are doing and if you dont, its is very straight forward and quick to learn - sides once you build ur first, thats a hell of a learning experience.

Technically there isnt much wrong with a dell product aside from the fact that they are nonupgradeable ... rather, seriously limited.

5. Spies

Spies Guest

get a G5 IMAC, my gf uses them at UNI for video editing, dont touch high street PC like DELL or any other crapy brand.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I said not to build, because for high end graphics and video editing there are tricks that need to be know. As in you really need to be careful with ATI cards and what power supplies to use with certain componets. So thus why I said can be finique. But Macs are designed for what was asked and have really good software packages that aren`t too expensive. PC world is catching up but still slow into geting into graphics.

7. insideout

insideout Guest

thanks for all of your responses. I've been told G5 by other folks as well.

Now, since I'm new to this what I think i'll do is explore G5's on the mac site. Do you have any other suggestions to help me with my computer search. What about the camera's?

Also, do you think it's better to buy equipment at any certain time of year?
    Thanks!

8. Praetor

Hehe depends on how much you spend on the computer :p

Stop and make sense._X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  9. Unibonger

Unibonger Guest

I say build your own work station, nothing like being able to repair your computer with off the shelf componets, not propritary like the Mac or a brand like Dell.
    Get name brand componets like Asus mother board, ATi graphicas card, high end power supply like Enermax or Antec.
    Photoshop for digital photography, #1 camera for Pros in digital photography is the Nikon at least 6 mega pixals or greater to get the same resolution as a 35mm SLR. I prefer medium format with Pentax 6x7 analog then scanning into Photoshop before editing. I only do still image so I have no comment about video for you.

I build my own work stations and they are easy to do if you follow simple guidelines, like start with good parts with good warrenties, most of my stuff has at least a 3 year warrenty.
    If you get a Dell or a Mac you need them to do any repair and you are at the mercy of tech support for help .Best thing to do is learn to be self sufficent and save money and do it yourself.It's not rocket science and if my brother in law with a 3rd grade education can learn to build a computer I'm fairly certain you can to with just a little effort.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2003
  10. Praetor

Bingo!

1. Poo. You'd be wise not to cross a Moderator on his opinions about ATi :p *hehe the power*
    2. If you want professional work, get a professional card.. Oxygen, Wildcat, the like... course that will cost a pretty penny.

11. Unibonger

Unibonger Guest

True on the graphics card, however he mentioned being on a budget (like me) or I might own a Mac
    though I'm not into having someone else work on my computer anymore let alone letting it be out of my sight or home for that matter.

For the starter of this thread look around for plenty of low cost guides to building your own computer it's easier then working on a car and you won't get greasy doing it either. I've seen guides to building your own computer for less then $10 at places like "cough" fleabay
    and parts sources like "pricewatch.com" or as suggested get someone to build you a nice machine locally but remember building your own is rewarding and will save you hundreds of $

12. Praetor

Which is why i made my initial suggestion: go with homebuilt PC... heck you can buy two full systems for <$1000 CAD (pretax). Have them do their stuff networked and you are set.

13. insideout

insideout Guest

Well, you all sound like you have alot of knowledge about this stuff. I don't. I would not begin to know how to build my own stuff. I can barely get my printer up and running. Which is why initially i wondered if I should get something like a Dell. That's to check out and see If I'm really going to like the technical aspect of my ideas. I'm not ready to invest the 2000.00 plus for a G5. It looks great. I don't know. All this stuff you guys mention. One question makes for 10 more questions after I read your replies.
    thanks for you help.

14. Unibonger

Unibonger Guest

Hey insideout you need to structure your needs
    before building a computer for a specfic purpose
    for instance I wanted to do lots of multimedia so I have a high end sound card capable of mixing, editing and production of music with midi.I picked a motherboard that would allow me to use a very fast cpu and lots of RAM and high end video.It also came with a data port for flash memory cards for my digital cameras and extra USB ports.I can also do cd-rw and DVD-R/RW on this system.I was computer illiterate and took the time to learn after I got angry about not being able to fix or upgrade my first computer(a Packard Hell)A buddy of mine had a 486 that he built with easy to access inards(so I got a case with virtually all thumbscrews) he bought the best parts he could find at reasonable prices(I shop around for what fits my needs and isn't crap)
    So look for the following;
    1)Good case, no sharp edges, removable mb tray
    2)Quality power supply, A MUST don't go cheap here, get something 350 watts at least, brands like Enermax, Vantec,Antec, Thermaltake are what to look for.
    3)Good motherboard socket A (we are on a budget so AMD is the way to go)brands to look for;
    Asus
    MSI
    Gigabyte
    Soyo
    in that order(just got a nice Asus for my dad for $62 KT400 chipset) very nice board!
    4)Good Ram, don't go cheap here you get what you pay for! I like Corsair right now
    However Kingmax, Kingston and few others are good to.
    5)a good sized hard drive especially if you work with large files like photos, video even more so.Get a 7200 RPM with 8mb of cache
    Maxtor, Seagate are good brands, I use Maxtor easy to replace if I need to with a good warrenty.
    6) Monitor lots of nice ones around at reasonable prices, don't get smaller then a 17"
    I use a 19" NEC here with a flat screen , crt and great color.Sony is well known for great color and prices to match so look for the best deals , but don't get a no-name with a crappy warrenty, my monitor came with a 3 year warrenty
    which I reccomend you look for before buying.I looked at around 200-300 monitors before deciding.

BTW: Ati has a series of high end cards well over $1K for CAD and the like, me I have a lowly Radeon 9800 Pro

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2003
  15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I agree with the last post. You need to sit down and say what am I going to use this for.
    Then write that stuff down. Then go on line and find the best system compontents that will let you do that. Then say oh I don`t have 1million dollars. So then start to make compromises. but you do still need to do the first two steps. What are you actually going to use it for and Is there hard available that will let you do that. A lot of people would buy the more expensive printer at Future shop (Canada) because the sales person (my friend) would tell them they could make T-shirts. Did any of those people ever make a T-shirt, thats a question mark, but they spent and extra 50 to 100 dollars to do so.
    What do you want, then compromize.

16. insideout

insideout Guest

Thanks for the info. I just found a class that teaches how to build your own computer. I think I'll take the class. Thanks again!

17. Praetor

1. You forgot Abit
    2. Soyo does not belong in that list.

Not really a functional requirement now is it? ;-)

A decent chipset but the nForce2 is far superior and for the same/better price.

18. Unibonger

Unibonger Guest

I currently have a Soyo, well till my new power supply gets here tomorrow that is, then I have an NFII DFI Lan Party 2 and lots of new goodies to max it out.
    As for my Soyo, it's a SY KT400 Ultra Platinum which has been a good board, not all it was advertised to be with a few small quirks that did not appeal to me like true 400mhz support.

but everyone has opinions about quality, based on current experince I really like the new Asus boards.
    And BTW I like cases that really come apart like the one I currently have with removable MB tray it really makes for ease of setup something I look for in all my gear now.

Hey insideout good going you won't be sorry learning the ropes you will be amazed at how much you can save yourself by building your own.
    Boxed parts are typically a better quality then the bin parts that large manufactures use like Dell,Gateway and you can get options that would really boost the price of a computer from one of the big companies for big savings.You might want to look at places like pricewatch.com for oem operating systems, Windows Xp ect... since MS tech support is almost worthless at times, besides another opportunity to save over a $100 on an OS

19. Matador

Matador Regular member

Asus Mobo is a plus+.Stay away from any PC brands you see at the store.First choose ur mobo, then select every thing else.You will find out thats the best way to go.

20. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I have to go with what Praetor said about the nForce2 chipset. You can find a good list of nForce2 MBs here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/motherboards.html

Consider what components you can get directly on the MB. Depending on your needs, onboard LAN and sound can save you a lot of money on components when you're not looking for bleeding edge features. Another way to save money is to look for bundled components. You can find some good deals on MB/CPU or MB/CPU/memory combinations. You can also save money on your OS by getting an OEM copy with your Hard Drive/CPU/MB.

For video editing you should pay particular attention to your hard drive setup. Editing and encoding tend to work best when you can save to a different hard drive than where the source file is stored. If you're going to store and edit a lot of video, I'd recommend having 1 OS drive and 2 data drives, with the OS drive no less than 40GB, and the data drives no smaller than 120GB each. Also, make sure they're 7,200rpm drives. For 1 40GB and 2 120GB drives it should cost you around $300. For 3 120GB drives it should only be about $20-$40 more.

Whatever you get, don't skimp on the basic components. If you buy a low end CPU, you'll probably spend a lot of time tearing your hair out and swearing at your computer. If you buy low quality memory/MB/Power Supply, you'll pay for it later in both money and headaches.