Starting Out

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Wood, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Wood

Wood Guest

I am a newbie to dvd ripping. I just got a dvd-ram from hitachi. I downloaded smartripper and spruceup. I have two question, one is there a step-by-step instruction somewhwere. Two does anyone know where I can buy dvd blank disc to record for a reasonable price.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Are you sure your drive is DVD-RAM, not DVD-R or DVD+RW?

3. Wood

Wood Guest

Yes, it is a DVD-RAM.

4. dRD

Have fun. DVD-RAM doesn't work on any other drive than DVD-RAM -- stand-alone DVD drives don't support it, DVD-ROM drives don't support it, etc.

5. Wood

Wood Guest

maybe you can help me. I would like to get something that will enable me to ripp dvd and ps2 games in one unit

6. dRD

I don't know anything about PS2 games, but DVDs I do know. Read through our DVD-R forum and you get the idea how the backup should be done (three different methods for three different cases). And really, DVD+RW or DVD-R recorder is what you need in order to backup your discs so that they can be used in DVD players.

7. Wood

Wood Guest

dRD,in reading through the forums i found a thread under dvd burners. The item he was deciding to purchase is the same item I bought. Except the model I bought is for IDE.
    I was wondering if that person had any success. If so, is it possible to search for his threads.
    I think he mixed terms and called the machine a dvd-r, instead of dvd ram.
    The thread was started by mario10c, the machine is a Hitachi GF-2050. Or take a peek at the machine at Hitachi.com models GF-2050 or GF-2000
    Thanks, for the ps2 site its great

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2002
  8. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Sadly dRD is right.. It's always sad when he is.. ;-)

There's no way of backing up DVD-Video or PS2 discs with a DVD-RAM -drive. You can only read DVD-RAM discs on a DVD-RAM -drive.