Stopping website automatically installing software on to my pc

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Tanksta, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Tanksta

Tanksta Regular member

Does anyone know any software to stop certain website installing apps onto my pc. Certain websites install apps such as ISBar, xxx toolbar (and I don't go on xxx websites), bargain buddy etc.

Please help!!!

2. duffyr83

duffyr83 Guest

no but Ad-aware or Spybot can remove those apps for you, both are freeware

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

The easiest solution is don't use IE :c). I prefer both Opera and Mozilla to IE.
    Really all you can do with IE to prevent it is to turn off scripting and downloading ActiveX controls under Tools/Internet Options/Security. Of course that will make a lot of web sites not work properly.
    Make sure that you have all the critical patches installed from Windows Update since some web sites will exploit holes in IE. Do what duffyr83 said too and use Ad Aware and Spybot to clean your system of spyware. Also make sure that those sites have not added themselves to your trusted sites list. In the same Tools/Internet Options/Security page select Trusted Sites and remove any that you have there that you don't recognize. And always make sure that you are aware of what you are clicking on when browsing. You might have accidently given those sites permission because of a box that popped up that was disguised to look like a windows message.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You can use IE if you want and still avoid those annoyances (i use IE and I aint about to change -- then again im oldschool :p). You just need a firewall/antispyware app running to filter out that crap.

5. tcrouch

tcrouch Member

Another thing you can do is to raise your security levels on IE. If you disable or require active-x controls to prompt you, then you can avoid alot of the automatically downloaded stuff like toolbars.

6. cleft

cleft Member

I agree with Xian that the best thing is not to run IE. Several reasons for that. Mostly you can (I have been) get hijacked while visiting a site on the internet and get loaded with a virus or trojan. IE is the worst for recieving such. After all it is the most common browsers and the virus writers have to guess at a file that will be in your computer to get an attachment to start with. Having Opera reduces those chances a lot.

While spybot is a good app for removing spyware, a better app is pest patrol which will stop them from installing in the first place. If they don't install then you don't need to remove them.

Be wary of d/ling or installing anything that is advertised as free such as gator or bargain buddy. Largely they want your email for the spammers and info on where you go and what is on your computer to try and talior ads to your class of usage. Also those that want to look in your files for the RIAA look to find spyware as an easy way to determine what you have.

One of the best ways to avoid spammers that I have found is to set up a new email account to start with. From that point on, never, ever, give your real e-mail addy. Use a common account to catch the spam and never use it for much. Another large help is a site called spamhole.com

7. Praetor

Grab yourself a good firewall, SPEND TIME TO CONFIGURE IT PROPERLY (was that enough emphasis?) and make sure you keep it up to date and read logs and crap like that. Check out Agnitum Outpost as well as the Sygate Firwallss both of which are fairly easy to use and quite effective.

8. cleft

cleft Member

Agree with you on the firewall.

I use a lesser known software firewall called Kerio. It is freeware for personal use and can be found by goggle search. Do learn to configure a firewall properly. Stay away from the freeware Zonealarm firewall. The free one isn't of much use is not configurable to any degree.

9. Praetor

I knew i forgot one! Yes Kerio is good stuff too! :)