suggested hdd

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by motomods, Feb 7, 2006.

1. motomods

motomods Regular member

I am looking at getting a new hdd for my xbox.. I am going to start to back up games onto it.. I want the most capacity.. what madel size and everything should i buy.. Thanks for the input

2. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

I have a Western digital, works good, most do. I would say try to keep the size under 200Gigz for stability sake.

In my oppinion Seagate absolutely blows, try to stay away from those.
    I assume you have a mod chip or TSop correct?

3. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Seagate "blows"? I think that may be a bit of a stretch. They produce great drives, and have for awhile now. They just bought out Maxtor, Forbes just named them company of the year. Not bad for a company that makes drives that "blow". The only negative thing I can think of is that they are producing a crappy drive for the 360, but that's MS's doing.
    Personally I recommend Seagate, WD and Maxtor as the best bets for a replacement drive. I currently have a 300GB Maxtor Diamondmax myself.

4. motomods

motomods Regular member

i actually havent bought anything for it yet.. I just bought the system and I am planning on doing this stuff.. If you have any suggestions on which chip to get or anything else you want to help me with i would like to know about it... where to get them and everything.. thanks

5. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

X3 :) I dont have one, but my friend does...probably the best you can get for a decent price.

6. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

I'd suggest the solderless Xenium S.P. ICE (or SPICE) modchip, but it has now been discontinued. You could train a monkey to install these things. It takes longer to open the xbox and close it up again than it takes to install. There is a newer Xenium Gold solderless version, but I have yet to try one of them. Should be even better though.
    Get the biggest drive you can afford. $130-150 will get you 300GB. For less than $100 you can get 250GB. Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com have never failed me for a good deal.
    Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor for drives. Go here http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/ to check to make sure that the drive you are looking at will work in the xbox. Some have issues.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

motomods, i PM'ed you back

But i am with everyone else pretty much
    Maxtor, Seagate, Wester digital should all work. and get the biggest one you can afford
    I have a 300GB Western digital in mine.
    Now i have had problems with a few Western Digital HDD's in the past so i can't give them rave reviews, but the 2 i have now work fine, and so does my Seagate.
    I also gave you a link in the PM to all the info you could want, like a tutorial on how to install and format it. An HDD compatibility chart, and a ton of other tutorials.

As far as chips i am not real up on which are the best. all i do know is that mine has a DuoX2 and it has worked out great for me.

8. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

What should the size stay under than? I was sure that if you go over 200 gig you're risking stability. Maybe thats on old BIOS's...

9. motomods

motomods Regular member

thanks to everyone for the help.. i apprieciate it and look forward to hearing more.. thanks again

10. steimy

steimy Active member

Logik666,
    i have seen all different sizes on compatibility charts
    200, 300, 350, 400 and so on.
    So there is no bad size as long as it works.
    My 300GB works just fine.
    The biggest i have seen is 400GB so far. But who would need more than that anyway?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  11. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

It used to be (years ago) that it would only recognize up to 137GB. No longer the case thank god.